On to Asahikawa - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2023

On to Asahikawa

We love our new tent made by Arai, classified as 2 to 3 person. This Japanese company has long been makers of tents and are known for their high quality, spacious design and being lightweight. Our tent weighs a bit over 3 lbs and the wonder of it is that it comfortably accommodates Barry who is 6’2”. He can sit up with room to spare and even stretch out. All this in a small footprint free-standing tent that costs about half of what we would spend in Canada. We now feel comfortable that we can camp on cycling trips as it fits into a small package and is very comfortable.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Susan JamesI plan to buy this exact tent when I go to Japan in August thanks to your recommendation.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

7-Eleven 700 metres away…Barry rode over and brought back a hot delicious dinner and some Japanese non-alcoholic beer. On his way back, Barry saw a strange creature having a dust bath in the field. Being the “Fox Whisperer”, he thought it might be a fox, but in getting a better look he saw the long legs and pointed ears and realized it was a very large Jack rabbit.  The campground provides lockers that are for charging your devices…we took advantage of this and filled it with our phones, ipad, lights etc. 

We awoke to a cold and drizzly morning. Rain is forecast for 10 am and sure enough, on the dot, it started to rain. How do the forecasts here continue to be so accurate?

The campground extends for acres and we had a lot of choice…no specified tent spots. Our entertainment last night was to watch, with some concern, campers push their heavy load up the steep hill to a coveted spot on a ledge or in the trees. This morning, we would watch them navigate the steep hill with their heavy load. It would take 2 guys, one in front and one taking the rear, to hold the heavy cart from taking off. Glad we chose a spot on the bottom.

This is a vending machine for fresh Hokkaido milk…our granola will be extra good with this whole milk. Yum
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tent is packed up in a few minutes and we are good to go.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is always a good strategy for us (at this point in our lives) to choose a spot close to the bathrooms.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A beautiful park like campground. This is called Sunrise Auto Camp and it cost 1600¥ ($16) and the shower ¥200 for 10 minutes. It was Saturday night and the campground was busy but since it stretches over several acres, we had no trouble finding a spot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lavender is becoming a theme for this part of Hokkaido. This is the clubhouse for the campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Packed up…and off for another day of exploring. Our goal is to reach Asahikawa, the second largest city in Hokkaido after Sapporo.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The grounds extend for some distance with small cabins and large 2 storey cabins for rent. We rode our trikes around the campground to check it out. Here are a few photos. As it is Sunday morning and check out is at 10, most people have left.

This campground is adjacent to a neighbourhood and a city park. We highly recommend it. Lovely spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yesterday when we arrived, these small cabins were full. Most people had outside tents for eating etc that covered the grass and paved section. The whole family comes and they clearly love to eat. We can imagine that they must look at our set up and just shake their heads.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There are several of these house sized cabins….they were also pretty much sold out for the weekend.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, those cabins are huge!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
We love riding along rice fields. We have had the good fortune of having arrived when they were planting the rice and now some fields are ready for harvest. It is an ongoing practice through the season, it seems to us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadside flowers
Heart 1 Comment 0
Finally the rain has subsided and we can carry on without our rain gear, we hope. But, as usual we have a good headwind to keep us company through the day. What doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger, right.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is Sunday and there is much traffic. Our attempt to not ride on the main road came to an end when we were confronted by a substantial deterioration in the road…or in this case, the path. We turned around.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another reason we are happy to turn around is that we are into some major hills and riding on gravel with a loaded bike is not our idea of fun.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oh, the beauty of Hokkaido with its rolling lush hills and interesting sky.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Suddenly a Ferris wheel appears on the horizon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Ferris wheel is at an information centre and rest stop. We learned about the mountains which we can normally see on a clear day.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It might have been tempting to get a great view from the Ferris wheel. But the heavy cross winds make it less appealing 

There is an art gallery, a restaurant and some crafts people at a market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roller roller coaster street is a country road that has significant continuous ups and downs. We’ll save that for another day..perhaps when we have a car!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lupins are indeed everywhere.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Okay…won’t do that.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Love potato chips and we have been enjoying them for a snack. This area of Hokkaido is the home for the potato farms of Calbee chips.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I think this would be a nice way to see this spectacular area from Furano to Biei, visit some farms and enjoy riding a vintage train. However, they don’t take bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Went to the Mochi-no-Eki in Biei. It was a small one and set in town which is quite different from the others we have visited.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Commemorative bike wear. Very nice but we passed on wearing tight Lycra.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch was a bit of a problem. It is always a challenge to order at these places as you rely on instinct or the kindness of strangers to place your order in an automated machine with no translation. We did ok..we both got dipping noodles. The problem was, we forgot they were “dipping” noodles and we poured the hot yummy sauce on the cold noodles and fresh veg. A tip if you order this dish…don’t do what we did.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Upstairs at the Michi was an incredible exhibit of a photographer's photos of the area. It’s funny how things go…just yesterday Barry saw a long legged Jack rabbit in the field by the campground, and today, we are admiring a photo of one.
Heart 2 Comment 0


This magical photo is not enhanced. It accurately shows the first snowfall at Blue Pond…incredible.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This photo of these baby foxes is entitled, Not the Safest Place to Play.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltCute photo of the baby foxes!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Biei’s Michi-no-Eki is set in a small heritage building made of soft rock native to the area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have grown to appreciate that Japanese people are amazing gardeners. We see them toiling in their fields on their own, the old fashioned way and by hand. Weeding with a hoe (we never see any weeds), creating furrows for a large field of potatoes, all of it is back breaking work but clearly it is a way of life they love.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Automated, built in bidets are in every bathroom we know of…from Convenience Stores, to Gas Stations, to grotty park bathrooms….it is a way of living that we have gotten used to.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There must be an army base in this area as we keep meeting these guys on the road. One of the soldiers popped up from the tank to give me a wave.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another cheer and a wave from the army.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We have made it to Asahikawa and we really like what we see. Barry and I are a bit peculiar as we often find that we like places that are not tourist draws. In fact, the description of this city is that it is the second largest city in Hokkaido and has little to appeal to a tourist. We like the feeling here, it is laid back with wide streets and a beautiful setting. We want to visit the Sake Museum and Tour with tastings, plus we have heard good things about the zoo, so we may do that too. Or we will just set out and explore. Until tomorrow.



Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 1,887 km (1,172 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0