Getting to the airport - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

April 16, 2023

Getting to the airport

We love to travel independently, with a schedule of our own making  and the flexibility to go wherever and whenever we choose. However, to start this trip, we have had to deal with complications and needs that go beyond our goal to be bike reliant as much as we can.

We rode our trikes from Saltspring Island to Fairfield Bikes in Victoria on Wednesday where we got new chains (need a total of 5 chains for two trikes), new Rohloff sprockets and  then Bryn packed them in large e-bike boxes for the flight. Thanks to the crew at Fairfield bikes for making whatever you need possible. It goes without saying that trikes present bigger challenges than single uprights. My sister drove us (trikeless) back to the ferry. 


Now to get these beasts to Vancouver Airport….we rented a 10 foot uHaul cube truck and picked them up on Saturday, stayed in a hotel at the airport and then Barry dropped me off with all of our gear and then returned the truck. 

We are staying in a hotel in Richmond that is close to the airport. More than half of Richmond’s population is Asian. This mega grocery story was amazing and gave us an exciting glimpse of what is to c9me
Heart 2 Comment 0

When we travel, we love to wander and soak in the culture and local vibe. We enjoy wandering through supermarkets like this as it gives us unique insights.

There was a choice of interesting Japanese restaurants around our hotel. We made a good decision eating in this tiny eatery.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We had dinner at an excellent ramen restaurant near our hotel.
Heart 2 Comment 0


Ramen with pork and a boiled egg
Heart 2 Comment 0
We are waiting for the All Nippon Airways counter to open. It is hard to appreciate the scale of these boxes in this photo, but they are huge and make our trikes a neatly package for travel. Thanks Bryn of Fairfield Bikes.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith AdamsI'm reading in catch-up mode so I'm sure the answer follows, but I'm wondering how you'll be coping with Japanese taxis, trains, etc. with trikes. Guess I'll need to just keep reading to find the answer!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Charmaine RuppoltThose boxes are HUGE!!!!!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0