Asahikawa - riding to the zoo - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2023

Asahikawa - riding to the zoo

Allergies are really getting to us and feeling like we are getting colds have encouraged us to have an easy day. We will ride the 20 Km to the zoo, see a different part of Asahikawa and visit the zoo. Similar to our feelings about  pet stores, we are not always comfortable visiting zoos. However we have read other travellers’ comments and the feeling is that the Asahikawa Zoo takes good care of their animals and that the animals appear happy and healthy.  So off we go. 

There are lots of photos of the animals included below. We tried to edit them down, but there were so many that touched us and we wanted to share them in our journal.

As we were riding we noticed this and we’re curious to,see it. It is a Treasure Boat full of good blessings. The yellow signs describe the each of the “lucky gods”…wealth, courage, etc.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Used google translate to understand.
Heart 1 Comment 0
English signage in Japan is always interesting. Sometimes it seems to have no connection to what it is. Not sure about this one, but it did amuse us.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our visit to the Zoo started well - reasonably priced entry, food etc. Barry tried the local special ramen with butter and corn. Delicious. I tried dumpling buns filled with pork.
Heart 2 Comment 0
First we are greeted by a mellow pair of giraffe who are equally interested in their food and giving each other neck rubs of affection. A good start. Due to the design of their enclosure, they had plenty of space and their feeding zones were close and gave us a Birds Eye view of them.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The older giraffe had an interesting face and most impressive tongue.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat giraffe had a lumpy head!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
It was magical to watch them rub each others neck and heads while making lovely sounds. When they finished, they both stood tall with their heads held high looking skyward. It was like watching a mysterious dance.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wow, what a useful tongue he has.
Heart 3 Comment 0
When we visited the hippos, all we saw were the traces of their backs as they were feeding, and then they emerged.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Like many zoos, school visits and educational components are important.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Just in case you didn’t understand the poster, this one really gets your attention.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ostrich is always an interesting bird to see…such a wee head on high above its substantial body. Barry’s photo almost looks like a painting to me.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A proud and distinctive face, but we do wonder how large their brain can be.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Gibbons were in a relaxed frame of mind when we visited later in the afternoon.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The enclosure for the monkeys is vast and layered with ropes, water areas, a big stone “mountain” with lots of nooks and crannies for them to run and play, ropes to climb and perches on high.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Always grooming…can you see the babies with their moms?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Warthogs live with the monkeys
Heart 1 Comment 0
Most enjoyable is seeing the animals interact with each other, oblivious to us.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It is wonderful to be able to see the bond of the moms with their young.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Awww, what a face….and then we briefly made a connection.
Heart 2 Comment 0
These guys don’t need a dentist…they take good care of each other and are always checking that all is ok..
Heart 2 Comment 0
The grace of a spider monkey using his tail to “fly” through the air from rope to branch.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The proud and magnificent eagle whose feet matched the vibrant colour of its beak.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Deep in contemptlation
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now this mischievous creature had us enthralled for a long time. The orangutang area is new, vast and gives them a lot of room and space to be on the move. At times he was on high without enclosure just hanging out or on the move to another area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Truly a character
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Haven’t tried one myself. But knowing Barry, who is always game to try whatever is on offer, it is a possibility.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is nothing more entertaining than a group of lemurs.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Despite best efforts, zoos are a compromise. The bear enclosure was very good with areas to roam, a waterfall with a pool, but the constant pacing made me wonder how he was doing. He looked healthy. For us though, it is a preferred way to encounter this bear, a native of Hokkaido and a smaller version of the grizzly bear we know from Canada.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is good information to have.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The seal area was extraordinary. Living where we do on the BC coast, we see seals and otters daily, but having this underwater walkway and viewing areas was magical. You can truly appreciate their grace and power underwater up close.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This little boy was transfixed by these columns which the seals would use to move from different elevations and zones. At one point, the seal stopped and stared at the little boy for some time…a special moment.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Their movement is fluid, graceful and with barely a discernible movement of their fins.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now that could be a souvenir to take home.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kids, bears and ice cream…
Heart 1 Comment 0

All too soon, music was playing over the speakers gently encouraging us to go home so that the animals “could go to their bedrooms”. We have enjoyed our time at the zoo. We both agreed that we have never visited a zoo quite like it…very low key, the animals seemed well cared for and happy, and we had incredible access to these animals without the usual cage separating us. We can see that they have been investing a lot of money and creativity in creating new and better environments for these animals. We are glad we came…very educational, informative and so much fun. The mischievous orangatang, the graceful seals, the monkeys, mothers with their young, a priority given to cohabiting compatible animals - all created wonderful memories and a sense that they are on the right track.



Shrines are often seen here. They are an inviting place which offer sanctuary and enjoyment of the beauty of the space.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This shrine had a special component to honour pets who have passed on.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Have loved staying here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Take out from the grocery stores deli…so delicious and affordable. We rarely eat in restaurants as this option is so good.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We enjoyed sampling the local Sake.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 1,912 km (1,187 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGood you checked out the zoo! I love going to them. :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago