Urbino: Climbs and wind - Italy and Spain - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2017

Urbino: Climbs and wind

Today we rode to the world UNESCO site, the village of Urbino. It is a very quaint village on the top of a hill (of course) and it is home to a university that is 1000 years old. The total distance was 95km with 4000ft of climbing. Our first climb was 5km long at an average grade of 5-6%. The second into Urbino was 10km long also at 5-6%. There was a third on the way home of 5km and about the same grade. The toughest part today was a strong wind that when it was a cross wind caused our bikes to lean more than a little. My average speed was 21.6 kph which wasn't bad considering the climbing and wind. I did manage to hit 63 kph coming downhill, such fun. Some of our group went off to a cheese cave as part of their ride since Urbino was too far away for them. I think I will scale back a little tomorrow to save my legal for the San Marino climb on Thurs.

Some of the Sisters ready for today's ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The guide Danilo sorting out his group for the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ron doing his warm up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stopped for a nature break in this quaint village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My bike looking back to the Adriatic. The high buildings in the distance are in Riccione.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another example of an Italian village that is UP.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Descending into Urbino on cobblestones. The Duomo is in the distance. Left town on another cobbled street that as a 17% grade downhill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coffee in Urbino.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The university in Urbino.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our gang and guide on the steps of the university.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sara giving instructions to our guide Peter from Vancouver about taking a photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peter and me on the steps.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti and me in Urbino just before we left, so rested and fed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Motorcycle racing is a huge sport in Italy and one of the worlds best Valentino Rossi #46 lives in the village of Tavullia through which we rode today. This is his private home and race track.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ron cooling down after a tough day in the saddle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kim enjoying some local products as appies by the pool.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lovely rosé prosecco that was even better because it was purchased for us by a group of women who showed up late yesterday and we had to turn back to get them.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 95 km (59 miles)
Total: 623 km (387 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0