Lagos Photo Dump (day 2) - Vuelta a Iberia - CycleBlaze

November 5, 2019

Lagos Photo Dump (day 2)

So it wouldn’t do to post a Lagos Photo Dump (day 1) without following it up with a second one, would it?  I’ll be a bit more disciplined and mindful of the fact that we’re supposed to be on break this time though - fewer words, fewer photos.  Easier for everyone.

As planned, we walked back out to the lighthouse this morning and picked up where we left off yesterday, scrambling our way west through the badlands of Piedade Point.  It’s the same tale today - a maze of sandy trails that dead end at yawning sinkholes or sheer drops, and a course that’s three times as long if you follow the contour of the cliffs than if you take the direct line.  We take the long route of course, because every twist and bend leads you to a view that is just a bit different, but still breathtaking.

It’s like a fantastic fireworks display - a long succession of colorful explosions, in a way repetitious but still drawing out the oohs and aahs every time.

Finally, we come to the end of the point and arrive at Porto do Mas, a small resort suburb.  In front of it is Porto do Mas Beach, a long, sandy extent that lies beneath the huge, sheer white cliff that we’ve been slowly approaching all morning.   The sea is full of surfers, possibly the most surfers I’ve seen congregated anywhere.

The hiking trail angles up and along the top of the cliffs and then continues west, eventually reaching lands end just past Sagres.  I’m sure views up there must be astonishing, but we decide to walk on the beach as far as we can, to the point that the sand finally ends and the cliffs round a bend.  I’m uncertain if you could continue walking beyond the bend, but it feels unwise - it’s narrow here so we’re standing right beneath these sheer cliffs, with the evidence of their continuous erosion lying around our feet everywhere.   Not a wise spot to linger.

There’s a bus available at Porto do Mas that we could take back to town, but we walk the cliff route back, by way of the lighthouse again.  On the way, we stop to walk down the 180 or so step staircase at the end of the point of the lighthouse, a spot we didn’t see before that’s arguably the best yet.  

We’re a bit sorry we’re leaving Lagos in the morning, even though we’ve been here three nights already.  With more time we’d take a third hike, starting at Porto do Mas and walking west along the crest of those cliffs; or maybe give the bikes a spin and pedal west toward Sagres.

Some year though, I think.  I like to be believe we won’t be seeing our last of Lagos when we bike off in the morning.

Strangers in paradise
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the distance, the cliffs beyond Porto do Mas.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A common sight. A not uncommon headline is to read of someone tumbling off the rocks here while taking a selfie.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A closer look at the cliffs beyond Porto do Mas. From this photo it looks like you should be able to scoot around that first crease in the cliffs, the point at which we turned back.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We enjoyed a lengthy trail side chat with Maria and Fito. From Madrid, they’re traveling by bike along the coastline from Lisbon to Faro.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
It looks to me like I’m leaning a bit too far forward here.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Jen RahnYes! I know you're safe now, but it still makes me nervous.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Here’s why I’m leaning forward just a bit.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking back toward Piedade Point and the lighthouse.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
It’s important to keep hydrated during you workouts. We didn’t wait around to see if this was a single schooner drill, or if he was planning on a six pack to help firm up those six pack abs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
New species! A think this is an Audouin’s gull, a once-rare species that is increasingly common here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Surfing bums.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Point Piedade Lighthouse
Heart 0 Comment 0
The staircase below the lighthouse. This one goes all the way to the surf, ending at a small platform. I wonder if you can get picked up or dropped off by a boat shuttle here?
Heart 2 Comment 0
At the base of the staircase. It looks like a small craft could navigate in here, if it timed the breakers right.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A panorama from the base of the stairs.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Jen RahnLooks like Lagos was a perfect spot for a break.

Wow!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott FenwickYour time in Lagos takes me back to our trip in March 2016. We also stayed at Casa Paula Apartments but for the most part we were the only ones. Maybe it has been discovered. At the time I was nursing a skiing injury but we took our bikes and enjoyed exploring the area for about a week. I loved the small town that some say may be the best part of the Algarve and dream of over wintering there some day. The weather looks fabulous. Thanks for the memories and looking forward to seeing your next moves.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Scott FenwickYou stayed in Paula’s place too! It’s a very comfortable place, and would be easy to settle in there for a longer stay. It does sound like a great spot to sit out the winter, doesn’t it?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago