In Estremoz: a photo album - Vuelta a Iberia - CycleBlaze

October 25, 2019

In Estremoz: a photo album

Estremoz is really an attractive town.  Like several others in the vicinity, it is constructed largely from the marble that you can see quarried just outside of town.  Sidewalks are constructed of marble chunks, whitewashed and marbled buildings gleam in the sun.  At this time of year, when the heat of summer has passed and whatever crowds it may see during high season have thinned out, it’s an ideal stopover.  And, of course, one best arrived at by bicycle.

My walk this afternoon was focused on the extreme west end, where the town rises up a small hill to the castle and then drops down the other side.  I think this must be the oldest part of Estremoz, and the most interesting; but from what I’ve seen of the rest of town it looks beautiful there too.  Maybe we’ll get a look tomorrow as we bike out.  The west end though, is remarkable for its ancient and decaying structures, splendid views across the countryside, and the decrepit, densely populated barrio that drops off west of the castle.

The route west from town toward the castle.
Heart 3 Comment 0
An antique shop
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
The ancient road to the Estremoz castle, on the traditional way into town from the western gate.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Santa Maria Church, adjacent to the castle.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Torre de Menagem, the impressive 14th century tower of Estremoz Castle.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A detail of the castle tower
Heart 3 Comment 0
Pigeon roost, Torre de Menagem
Heart 3 Comment 0
The entryway to Santa Maria Church.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The entryway to Santa Maria Church.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Window of a ruined palace, perhaps.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Views from castle hill are impressive. Here, we look back to the center of town and Sao Francisco Church.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking to the southwest, we see a series of marble quarries just outside of town.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Leaving castle hill to the west, through the Santarem Arch.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rua Dirieta, the road below Santarem Arch, has a somewhat medieval feel.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Doorways along Rua Dirieta.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Doorways along Rua Dirieta.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Looking back Rua Dirieta toward Santarem Arch and the castle.
Heart 3 Comment 0
An alley branching off of Rua Dirieta. Its weathered paint and whitewash give it a Greek feeling.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Santiago Church stands at the extreme west end of town, just inside the fortified walls.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The impressive walls that gird old Estremoz.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The walls of Estremoz.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
The view to the northwest.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Castle hill, and the western entrance to the city through the Evora Gate and its drawbridge.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Evora Gate.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There are many ways to Santiago. This is the Camino Nascente, which begins On the Mediterranean coast near Faro and eventually merges with the Portuguese Camino at Braga. We will cross this path again a few days south of here, in Beja.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Descending back to town from castle hill, through the Porto do Sol.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0