Acknowledgement - The Explorers’ Ride - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2024

Acknowledgement

To the Traditional Owners

Aboriginal people have been living in Australia for at least 60,000 years. Their unique languages, art, music and dance is the longest continuous living culture on the planet.

This cycle tour is commemorating an exploratory expedition by a small group of Europeans led by Hume & Hovell 200 years ago. They overcame great challenges and hardship to achieve what they did on the expedition.

But I am also very aware that the consequences of their expedition had profound, negative consequences for the Aboriginal people whose land they passed through, and then publicised as being a great area for grazing and white settlement. 

Expansion of grazing,  land grabs by squatters and years later, the Gold Rushes, had a massive negative impact on the Traditional Owners.

Consequences such as land theft, massacres, epidemics, structural racism and cultural suppression which are still being felt to this day. Australia still has a long way to progress with recognition of real history and truth telling.

I’d like to acknowledge the Traditional Owners of Country throughout the region which will cycle and recognise their continuing  connection to lands, waters and communities. I pay my respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures; and to Elders past and present. 

The black symbolises the Aboriginal people, the red represents the earth and the colour of ochre used in Aboriginal ceremonies, and the circle of yellow represents the sun, the constant renewer of life. The flag is flown or displayed permanently at Aboriginal centres throughout Australia.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The richness and diversity of Aboriginal and Torres Strait languages is awe inspiring.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Close up of the region we will be cycle touring through. It includes several major Aboriginal language groups.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0