Ferry from Tarbert to Skye - Skye & The Hebrides - CycleBlaze

Ferry from Tarbert to Skye

south out of Uig to Portree

There are only two ferries a day (none on Sundays) and on Monday I prioritize a lovely hotel breakfast over the dawn ferry. Why on earth it leaves so early, I don't know: commuters, perhaps? Instead I hang around the hotel, polish Father of The Bride speech and later wander around the village, eventually buying my wife a couple of Harris Tweed items from the factory shop around the corner. It's all a bit frustrating, as the sun is out and I want to get going again. Those three lost days in Oban, spent waiting for hub parts, are starting to haunt me.

It gets worse when the afternoon ferry is delayed two hours due to a mechanical problem and it's 8:00 when it docks at Uig. To compound the frustration, dark clouds roll in as I ride towards Portree. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

As I ride along, a Kiwi cyclist in his twenties rides up from behind and tells me he's living in London and bought his cheap bike there (50 quid). It's way too small for him, but he's enjoying himself. 

Skye
Heart 1 Comment 0

The sky becomes more dramatic and it's 10:00 when we arrive in the small town of Portree, where we both eat fish and chips before he sets off to the campsite - about 10 kilometers away - while I start looking for a B&B.

All the ones I go to are full, but one makes a call and the owner drives to escort me back to her house. I'd never have found the place as it's on an estate without any sign outside. It's 30 quid for a nice single room and she lets me have two bottles of her hubby's cold beer out the fridge when I ask about buying some. Now that's good service.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0