Coming Home - Grampies Go Hawaiian Winter 2014 - CycleBlaze

December 11, 2014

Coming Home

These are just a few final bits about the trip home, and before we start to dissect what we thought of it all, and to break down the costs and other facts - in pages to come.

We already mentioned our bitterness at being ripped off on the cost of anything to drink, after all liquids are taken away at security. I am including here a photo I took of the water fountains outside the toilet. Amazingly this water is still free, and you can even get a takeout if you have a water bottle - what are they thinking?

Heart 0 Comment 0

The next photo shows our lift home - the Alaska jet- arriving. Alaska is setting the standard for not offering you a darn thing aside form the seat. On the six hour flight, no food or entertainment is provided, unless you pay extra. We really dislike that. We do know that there is another way to look at it - you don't have to pay for food or entertainment by having it built in to your ticket price. You only buy it if you want it. Sure, but we just feel it leads to an ungracious and mean way of living. By the same token, every road should be a toll road - only pay for the ones you actually want to drive on? We dislike even having to think about these kinds of arguments.

We watched our bikes in their cases getting heaved a couple of feet, upside down, onto the conveyer into the plane. Standard procedure we have come to expect.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

One last look at Mauna Kea from the plane window, and Hawaii became just a memory.

Heart 0 Comment 0

But look, here in the last photo are some of the grandkids being shown what is in the boxes, mailed from Volcano, Hilo, and Hawi!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Oh, and finally, we toddled over to Costco and Fred Meyer today here in Seattle. We bought 2 1/2 pounds of "Seattle Mountain Blend" coffee, roasted on site, for $12.99. Kona coffee at Fred Meyer is $6.59 a bag, and ordinary fluffy breads is 4 (yes 4) for $5.00. Well at these prices we will be able to save up, return to Hawaii, and cycle to Captain Cook where we will be able to buy coffee for $70 a pound. It'll be great.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0