Life in America (5) - Halfway (not intentionally) across America - CycleBlaze

June 1, 2006

Life in America (5)

Me, too, some days
Heart 0 Comment 0

"Saturday morning, a drunken stranger stood on the bank corner and tore up two 10-dollar bills and a 20-dollar bill and tossed the scraps to the four winds. Sheriff Chinn, who happened to be passing by, took him in charge and sent for Chief Smith, who placed him in the lockup to sober up.

"On being searched, $95 in currency was found in his pocket. When he had slept off the effects of the whisky he was fined $1 and turned loose and immediately got drunk again. The chief then notified him that he must leave town on the first train. He begged hard to be permitted to remain here two or three days, but this the chief refused and the man left Sunday at noon.

"He gave the name of W. H. Petty, and Nashville as his home. He refused to say anything further about himself, but it is believed he is a picture salesman. He begged that nothing be published about his escapade, as he did not want his father to know that he had turned such a 'blamed fool.'

"The pieces of money were gathered up and pasted together."

- The Harrodsburg Journal, June 15, 1905

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0