Santorini - Cycling Greece - CycleBlaze

May 29, 2009

Santorini

After 3 nights on Milos we caught a late afternoon ferry from Milos back to Piraeus, arriving after midnight. We went back to Piraeus as a relay point on the way to Santorini, because direct services between Milos and Santorini are infrequent and inconvenient - particularly this early in the season before the wave of summer tourists arrive.

We had an 'entertaining' time trying to locate our hotel in Piraeus in the middle of the night. Even having mapped it out on our gps it was a challenge in the dark and there was noone about to ask directions of. It was with quite a bit of relief that we finally stumbled upon it. The next day we slept in a bit and then took the train in to Athens to visit its famous architectural museum.

Santorini is of course a one of a kind, world famous tourism destination. Its main towns perch at the top of an immense caldera that plunges straight down to the sea. We've imagined coming here for years, but I expected it to be too touristy and a bit of a letdown after the wonderful three weeks that had preceded it.

I was wrong - it's an unbelievable place and one we thoroughly fell in love with. It's no biking destination though - the roads are too narrow and busy, even in the off season, to be pleasurable or really even safe. It wasn't too bad climbing out of the caldera and riding the few miles to our hotel, but once there we were ready to dismount and get around on foot.

In our three days here we did a lot of walking, and also spent a day on a wonderful boat tour of the small islands in the bay. Everything was great, but if I only had one day to spend there it would be on the 12 mile hike along the edge of the caldera from Thira to Ia. Totally amazing.

On the ferry to Santorini.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ascent from the ferry wasn't as bad as we'd anticipated.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Santorini is an astonishing place, but no great shakes as a biking destination. Even this early in the season the traffic seemed too heavy and the roads too narrow. After the 5 mile ride to our hotel in Thira we were happy to set them aside for a few days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bikes at our hotel in Thira, overlooking the caldera.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Donkeys, Thira. Our hotel room was directly beneath this path. Santorini is the only place I've ever been awakened by donkeys overhead!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thira. All the way here, I'd wondered whether Santorini would be a letdown after seeing so many beautiful places already on this tour. Not hardly.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The catholic church, Thira.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Donkeys in waiting, below Thira.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rooftop art, Thira.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Passenger donkeys, Santorini.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Donkeys, driver and a happy hiker, Pirgos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ia, at the northern end of the island. An unbelievable collage of whitewash and color.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A beautiful church, Ia. One out of many.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cat and bell tower, Santorini. We could put together a whole slide show of colorful cat photos from Greece.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Everyone wants in the act. They must train their pets to lie around and act colorful here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ia and the caldera.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Scott and Rachael, about as happy as we've been anywhere.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another stunning church, Ia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cat and books, Ia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bicycle art, Ia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Waiting for the sunset at Ia. People flock to this spot from all over the island to view the sunset, reserving their places far in advance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The volcano on Kameri island, with the main island in the distance. We came here on a day-long boating excursion to the small islands in the bay.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A church on Thirassia, another of the small islands in the bay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Returning to Thira from our day trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The face of the caldera from the sea.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 10 miles (16 km)
Total: 896 miles (1,442 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0