Gerolimenas to Gythio - Cycling Greece - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2009

Gerolimenas to Gythio

From Geroliminas we continued our tour of the Mani peninsula, continuing south until the road cuts across to the east side just north of Porto Kagio, and following it northward until we ended the day at the lovely port town of Githio.

One of the main attractions of the day was passing through the dramatic Maniot village of Vathia, which has the best collection of tower houses. It is a sight to behold, and also gives a good overview of the peninsula from its lofty position high above the sea.

The roads in this section of Mani were some of the steepest of the tour. First, it climbs very steeply for 1500 feet on the ascent to Vathia, before plummeting almost straight down the other side of the ridge. Crossing over to the other side of the peninsula, we enjoyed what seemed like about a 20% pitch up another short ridge before the ride leveled out for the rest of the day.

We really enjoyed Githio. It has a very attractive waterfront, is a good scale for walking around, and has a string of tempting fish restaurants lining the bay. It made a satisfying end to the day window shopping past their displays of fish on ice, before settling in at one to enjoy a great meal and watch the sun go down.

Looking back to the bay at Gerolimenas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tower and sea, the Mani.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maniot tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vathia has probably the best collection of tower houses in the Mani.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vathia, an evocative traditional Maniot village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vathia, the Mani.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view back north from Vathia. Gerolimenas bay, 1500 feet below, is in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maniot tower house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tower houses and stone walls, the Mani.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Porto Kagio, on Cape Tenaro at the south end of the Mani and the southernmost point of mainland Greece. One of the entrances to Hades allegedly lies just beyond the cape.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Empty roads, great scenery, and hills - all a cyclist could hope for.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lagia, another of the fortified villages in the southern Mani.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the numerous small Byzantine churches that dot the peninsula.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beehives, the Mani.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Githio, a southern port town east of the Mani.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Octopi on the line, Githio.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Githio harbor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Githio harbor, from our hotel's balcony.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 595 miles (958 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0