Ways GPS: Turn Right 1,201 miles - Reacquainting on the Continental Divide 2021 - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2021 to June 22, 2021

Ways GPS: Turn Right 1,201 miles

Kicks on Route 66

On the road...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chevy Equinox stuffed with two bloated bike rigs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pre-disassembly
Heart 1 Comment 0
Send off Bon Voyage from Dany, Ira and Mike
Heart 0 Comment 0
Out of fuel today
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tourists
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gateway Arch in St.Louos, MO
Heart 0 Comment 0

Saturday, our last local practice ride on the heavy touring tank bikes.  A short local loop ride took us through one unavoidable muddy stretch of road.  One.  As soon as we got home the garden hose and brush came out to remove the mud.  Laughed at how we keep the bike so clean at home, knowing that next week we will be covered in trail grime, with no access to a garden hose and brush.

Sunday morning I set out on the Colnago road bike for a nice local road bike ride.  Cruised like a speedy race car on high octane fuel.  Fun zipping around on a lightweight bike with one water bottle and 80 less pounds of gear than the Continental Divide touring bike.

Reality struck later on Sunday while packing the touring bike and affirmed that I am not capable of ultra-light packing.  Not in my blood.  Successfully trimmed the rolling loaded bike down to 93 pounds.  Once on the trail I’ll send a box of luxury unnecessary items back home via FedEx.

Monday, June 21st, Steve pulls up in the rental Chevy Equinox and it’s time to pack two fully bloated touring bicycle rigs into the little SUV.  Removed the packs, bags, wheels and the gently stacked, squished and shoved the equipment into the SUV.  Grand send off from Dany and Ira, and then hit the road at the leisurely crack of 3pm.

Currently it’s Tuesday morning.  We’ve already passed the St Louis Gateway Arch, the hay stacks and cows of Springfield, Missouri, and now we’re enjoying the highway ride to Albuquerque.  Getting our kicks on Route 66.  At one point Ways GPS said the next turn is in 1201 miles.  Just keep driving.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Dany SaarMake sure to stretch ( while you are in the passenger seat).
Double check the car ( everywhere) before your final return.
Start uploading your pix to FB.
Have a superb night sleep tonight.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago