Rifle, CO - Mesa, CO: The wind cannot hold us back! - Grand Mesa, CO loop 2011 - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2011

Rifle, CO - Mesa, CO: The wind cannot hold us back!

Fred Rubin from our 2009 trip is back for more of Colorado. Here is our take off photo at 7:15 AM.You might notice that only two of us have bicycles and that Jacinto is still holding his coffee cup. Fred and I took off. Jacinto was waiting for it to warm up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
2.5 miles later, Fred's bike isn't shifting. We go back home and check my bag of parts that I take on remote, long distance tours. Sure enough, I have a very nice tandem length Teflon shifter cable to replace Fred's frayed cable. He completed the repair so quickly I wish I had timed him. Second departure was at 9:15 AM. The temperature was warming up and the wind blowing already. Fred and I opt for boring but quick Hwy 6. Speedy Jacinto was still drinking coffee and getting prepared for the tour. He would take the hilly, scenic route over Taugenbaugh Mesa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fred with the solar sunflowers at the rest area in Parachute.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kelly. Typical scenery between Parachute and DeBeque, CO.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fred prepares to cross a cattle guard. Cattle guards are used in rural areas of the west to keep unfenced cattle from crossing into areas they aren't allowed. These open areas are called 'open range'. Cattle guards are tricky for bicyclists as your front wheel can turn and drop right into the slot. I typically walk across the cattle guard for safety.Fred is riding a Challenge Hurricane.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My first sighting of Jacinto was at the motel in Mesa. He had started late and taken the scenic (hilly) route. The Wagon Wheel Restaurant and Motel has new owners and has been refurbished. The rooms are very nice, if expensive. The TV is extremely sub par. The food in the restaurant is . . . . well, let's just say even hungry cyclists found the food to be less than delicious. Definitely avoid the Rueben sandwich.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 50 miles (80 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0