Redstone, CO - Rifle, CO: Downhill cruise home, except for Jacinto's bonus climbing. - Grand Mesa, CO loop 2011 - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2011

Redstone, CO - Rifle, CO: Downhill cruise home, except for Jacinto's bonus climbing.

Fred and Deb outside of the Crystal Manor Motel in Redstone. Deb drove their truck and hauled our gear. She spent her days visiting thrift stores, museums, and hot springs. I would have been very bored, but Deb always had interesting stories of what she had seen during the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fred and Deb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A major part of the charm of Redstone for me is the flowers in all of the yards.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jacinto and Kelly, ready for the last day. You will notice we are starting together today. This was an easy downhill day. Fred and I agreed to wait until 10 AM and ride with Jacinto. We also agreed to ride the scenic Peach Valley/Silt Mesa route home from New Castle to make up for the boring Hwy 6 ride the first day. That gave us some climbing at the end of the day. More climbing means we delay ending the tour. Why is it the days are so short when on tour?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fred is smiling in anticipation of the long downhill run into Carbondale.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the first time I've ridden on the new bike path outside of Carbondale. At this time it extends 5 miles towards Redstone. The plan is for it to go all the way to Crested Butte over Kebler Pass. Someday. It was certainly nice to get away from the cars through the tight canyon. Fred's photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fred and Deb are all smiles after the end of four days of climbing in Colorado.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jacinto, Kelly, and Fred.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 226 miles (364 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0