Day 16: St Jean to Chambly - Grampies' Grand Adventure Summer 2015 - CycleBlaze

July 18, 2015

Day 16: St Jean to Chambly

I showed the kids how to work the elevator. Later they ran ahead just a few feet, pushed the button, and the elevator came immediately. It needed a brief sprint to keep them from taking off alone in it!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Elegant dining in the sun room at Auberge Harris
Heart 0 Comment 0
The kids carefully kept their coloured place mats
Heart 0 Comment 0
These are serious artists
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of cyclists were outside getting ready to go
Heart 0 Comment 0
This cyclist received the kids business cards
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road is wet today, but here at least the marking is good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The kids were dubious about the road spray
Heart 0 Comment 0
With the trail drying later in the morning, it again looks like a great route
Heart 0 Comment 0
Excavators! Five were busily at work!
Heart 0 Comment 0
One other thing you can do with a bike rack (if you are four or under!)
Heart 1 Comment 0

It rained heavily in the night, but by morning we got a break and just had mizzle. This was great, except that yesterday's hard packed gravel trail had now become a gluey gritty mess. The increased rolling resistance was ok, because we were now heading back to Chambly, and yesterday's head wind was at our backs. No, in this case it was poor Evee who bore the brunt of it. To give ventilation in the trailer, we had the plastic front window rolled up, leaving just a screen. But grit and water from the back wheel was spraying up and for some reason targeting Evee. Usually not shy about complaining, our little trooper just sat there until we spotted the problem. Oh well, like mud spattered Avi on the Hiawatha last year, she now had some genuine cycling grit to display.

Evee is now well initiated into the sport of cycle touring
Heart 1 Comment 0

I guess even the easiest short cruise can become a challenge. Usually this takes a flat or other mechanical problem. But halfway through the short ride, to the high rolling resistance of the load was added mosquitoes, flying into my face. I began to think "Waitaminute, this is supposed to be a dead easy jaunt with the kids!"

Of course a few bugs and some mud could not deter the Grampies from their appointed return to Chambly, and we easily found our next stop, the "A la Claire Fontaine" B&B. We had a quick intro to the proprietor and a look at our room. Just like the Osprey Inn in Harrison, this was well appointed with knick knacks and pot pourri scents, and also featured a claw type tub beside the bed!

So we jumped back on the bikes and headed down the street to Fort Chambly. The waterways in this area were naturally critical in the early history. Chambly stands between Lake Champlain and the St. Lawrence so was strategically vital. Wooden forts were built here in the 17th century and the final one of stone in 1709-11. The fort is one of five along the Richelieu.

Parks Canada is very much in evidence in this area, with the Chambly Canal being operated as one of their historic features, and with a very active program at Fort Chambly. Lots of kids have summer jobs working for them, so there is a lot of youthful enthusiasm flowing around. The displays inside the fort were really top notch, and the restoration so good, the building could easily have been a B&B. There was plenty to interest the kids, but the biggest hit was simulated vegetables and pots by a fireplace with a simulated fire. They spent a long time making soup. This was part of an overall presentation about the foods of New France, so this naturally included Habitant Pea Soup. The main food of the soldiers here was bread and pea soup.

Other cyclists arriving at Chambly. We apparently beat them back from St Jean!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fort Chambly
Heart 0 Comment 0
A ranger goes over samples of the scents of New France foods.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tatoo artist ranger
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good quality air brushing
Heart 0 Comment 0
Evee's turn
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fort Chambly!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is not pain or sorrow, but Evee's fascinated/concentrating face
Heart 0 Comment 0
Evee is fascinated by the presentation
Heart 0 Comment 0
A good overview of the important waterways here: Lake Ontario, the Ottawa River, the St. Lawrence, the Richelieu River, and Lake Champlain. The chart also shows the location of Indian groups." Hochelaga" is the Indian name for Montreal
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful French soldier's uniform
Heart 0 Comment 0
Detail of that great hat
Heart 0 Comment 0
Watching for the enemy
Heart 0 Comment 0
A roaring blaze for preparing soup
Heart 0 Comment 0
Habitant Pea Soup is a famous food from New France.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many dioramas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This dispenser gave samples of chocolate as it would have been ee hundred years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Well made swinging door display. The entire Fort was doen up in A-1 quality
Heart 0 Comment 0
Photos of local wildlife
Heart 0 Comment 0
A depiction of a Habitant farm family
Heart 0 Comment 0
The kids adopt the little girl
Heart 0 Comment 0
Detail of the horse
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many wall murals depicted life through the seasons
Heart 1 Comment 0
Amelia goes back in time
Heart 1 Comment 0
Receiving souvenir medallions
Heart 0 Comment 0

A must on an cycling trip is ice cream (according to Amelia, and us too), so we soon went in search of some. The best local brand is "Coaticook", which is also the name of a nearby town. I have not checked whether the ice cream is actually made there, but anyway, it's great.

Now back in our room, we are gearing up for a bath by the bed. Evee has in any event recovered from her ordeal, and everything is ok, as we watch Dora the Explorer on the smartphone, and preparing for tomorrow's continued adventures.

The Richelieu River beside the Fort
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dining in the bathtub!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mandatory cycling ice cream
Heart 0 Comment 0
"Magic Schoolbus" before bath, bedtime story, and the end of another big day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 20 km (12 miles)
Total: 229 km (142 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0