Day 13: Labelle to Lake Placid: Acres of Oranges - Grampies Go South Spring 2014 - CycleBlaze

January 17, 2014

Day 13: Labelle to Lake Placid: Acres of Oranges

There was some frost on the windshields this morning but the day quickly warmed up. Eventually the thermometer hit 23, pretty much the most comfortable cycling temperature possible. As we headed for the bridge to leave town we came across the warming center that had been set up. The door was marked "Safe Place", which did seem rather enticing, but we think our motel was safer. Besides, we got to charge a whole gaggle of electronics in the bargain.

Just before crossing the bridge we discovered a large city park. This included a covered shelter with tables, the ideal camping spot. We thought back to the police commander we had consulted yesterday, and his denial that there was any place to put a tent. Technically, of course, he was right. And you would not want vagrants and transients hanging out in your park. I think the problem is an inability here to distinguish a potential long term tent slum threat from two elderly, well equipped, motivated to move on, foreign visitors. And I must say, it also betrays a certain lack of Christian charity and principle which we assume somehow includes a duty to welcome travellers.

The benefits of a motel
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cold shelter was in fact needed last night
Heart 0 Comment 0
So why could we not have put our tent here?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The highway outside Labelle
Heart 0 Comment 0

Following hwy 29 beyond Labelle, we had the same busy road with lots of trucks, but also a decent shoulder. The lands on either side were reasonably barren grazing. Later, some pine forests appeared, and then for the remainder of the day our scenery was orange groves, to the horizon.

I picked up a grapefruit left by a citrus truck, and we found it to be as sweet as any we have tasted. Later we came upon a rare (the only) roadside orange tree. It must have grown from a seed, and although interesting and tangerine like, did not quite have the superb flavour nuances we expect from free fruit!

Many of the groves were fenced and posted, but we did pass kms of trees that we could ride up to. The one time we did do this, we were surprised to find the fruit that looks suitably orange from a distance to be kind of scabby and rough. Maybe these are industrial oranges that have not been sprayed to be fungus free and look perfect, or maybe they actually do have a problem. The latter seems likely, since we also passed kms of totally dead trees.

The last of the gator stuff. This one is really overblown!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A small area of lovely forest
Heart 0 Comment 0
This nice rooster and ten hens visited us when we stopped for lunch
Heart 0 Comment 0
Really sweet, and we like the price
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now here is the type predator we understand. Looks a bit like a hippo, though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wild orange tree
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pine forests appeared on a route for a brief time
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dead oranges. Why?
Heart 0 Comment 0
These oranges don't look too bad oin the photo, but many had a lot of black on them.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Beyond this, nothing really happened during our cycling hours. The challenge then is what to think about as you peddle along. Conversation helps, but the constant roaring of trucks makes it very hit and miss. I found it a good time to relive past events in our lives, and quite enjoyed visiting with our children when they were young. At one point I asked myself in alarm "Why is my life passing before my eyes, I hope I'm OK!" Yes, I was OK but I wish the State would install a few roadsigns or something, to help keep any cyclists sane.

The day ended as we called ahead to Lake Placid Campground. At first they said they had no vacancies, but when we explained that we do not need power or water hookup, said come on down. The manager was waiting for us at the entrance and showed us to a dandy patch of grass that exactly fit the bill. Then he pointed out the sanitary block, but also showed us two additional buildings. One had a restroom, plus tables and chairs and scads of power plugs plus overhead lights. The other was a clubhouse type location, with TV, internet, comfy chairs, more tables, more chairs, more power plugs.

So there are all the ingredients for happy campers, and also a remedy for some of the fairly inhospitable welcomes we have received from others. Added to this, some Candians drove over from their site (news of the crazy Canadian cyclists must have travelled) to see if we could use a lift anywhere, or wanted to go out for a burger. They finished by encouraging us to find them at their site should we need anything in the night. We thanked them, buit we know with our fluffy sleeping bags and tent in a good spot we will be just fine.

This place came through with a good spot, useful facilities, and friendly management.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lake at the campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 630 km (391 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0