Poix en Picardy: The roses of Picardy ......... - Following Rivers and Pilgrim Trails from Zurich now Dawdling around France - CycleBlaze

September 22, 2016

Poix en Picardy: The roses of Picardy .........

Today we were out of maps except for the road atlas we were carrying. I had looked on Googgle maps. I must say Ken does a superb job picking out white roads that somehow link up and get us to where we are going. But where were we going, of course the general direction North. Amiens was around 70km away and the only place before then with accommodation was Poix en Picardy really not far enough. We were unsure as to how much hill would be involved but anything I have read says 'rolling country' ie hills so we decided to book in Poix as the hotel had only one room left.

Going out of Forges on the only road possible was rather a nightmare with a long hill and lots of traffic but before long we turned onto a tiny road. The traffic all but disappeared but not the hills. It was beautiful and we loved it - somehow a steep hill followed by a descent doesn't seem to me to be nearly as sapping on my strength as the long sustained and very gentle climb of yesterday. This seemed to be cow country and we even saw a milk tanker. Eventually we reached a high plateau. I always feel very reassured when you are cycling along between the wind turbines - it means that it is very unlikely you will have to go higher. This was extremely productive and very large scale agriculture. There was wheat, long since harvested and replanted for next year, sugar beet, not yet harvested, potatoes and maize. The population is low and the small hamlets are without services. What we did see was a lady in a van delivering bread - we more or less kept pace with her. She would blow her horn, an elderly person would come out and take it, have a few words and she would move on.

At Abancort 4 roads met and much to our delight we found just what we needed. There was a building that was a garage, bar, betting shop and epicere. The two ladies running it were in a blur of movement running their gem. We both had a very welcome Grande Cafe Creme. Then on to Poix which is in the area of Picardy and is in the Departement of the Somme. The office de Tourisme was still open with the most amazingly helpful man who gave us a map of the Somme and on it he showed us a green way that goes along the Somme in the general direction we want to go. We just have to get over a few hills to reach it.

Forges les Eaux
Heart 0 Comment 0
Forges les Eaux
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
They even have Joan of Arc at Forges
Heart 0 Comment 0
Covered cattle sale yards at Forges
Heart 0 Comment 0
Friendly cows - Ken says one has a bad case of pink eye
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bread lady
Heart 0 Comment 0
Her customer
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical houses
Heart 0 Comment 0
I wish we had leeks like this
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A grander house
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ken is doing a great job finding delicious cheese for lunch
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nearly at Poix
Heart 1 Comment 0
Behind the church at Poix is a small Commonwealth War Cemetery containing the graves of 140 airmen fro WW2 There are 8 Kiwis
Heart 0 Comment 0
He was a Squadron Leader at 24 - what a waste of a life
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 2,530 km (1,571 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0