Angers: Angers is a big city - Following Rivers and Pilgrim Trails from Zurich now Dawdling around France - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2016

Angers: Angers is a big city

The guide book told us there were two options either the traditional route on the left bank or a new one on the right bank, it said it was completely straight but very pretty. As our hotel was on the right bank we decided to try it. At first we were along a scaringly busy road, we then got on to the track which was awful, rough and up and down over little side roads stuck to a grove below the busy road - how anyone could every thing this was pretty I don't now!! But we are of little faith. After about 5 or 6 km it took a turn towards the river and became gorgeous. It was still rough but that didn't seem to matter. We were looking across he river at chateaux and little towns. Hot air balloons above us were completing the picture. On our side of the river we passed through camping grounds a couple of small villages in one of which Ken found a Boulangerie and got our lunch time bread and another goodie.

We reached Roisiers-sur-Loire where we crossed the Loire on a rather magnificent and narrow arched bridge. Across the other side of the river the road was completely smooth and we really sped along throughly enjoying ourselves until we found an exceptionally grotty bar at St Remy la Varenne but the coffee was great and sitting outside as we always do to guard the bikes you don't see the grott. Then back across the river to the right side. Ken loved this part of the trip as we were in agricultural country and he delights in seeing how they manage their land. It was a big day for silage making and huge trucks of cut corn were arriving for processing. (I spent time waiting). There was not a cow in sight but Ken tracked down some huge barns with what looked like Fresians in them - there was not a single outside field that they could be in to graze at any time of the year.

There is a short way and a long way into Angers. We missed the sign to the short way that involves a ferry. Perhaps it was just as well as when Steve and Dodie did it the ferry wasn't working and they had to find a creative route to Angers. Well on the long route we lost our way too and thought we were doing well following roads leading to the Centre Ville. They were obviously for cars as we found ourselves on a motorway with angry honking drivers. Angers is a big city and we really had a good look at it on our quest to find the Office de Tourisme and a map. The bad news was that the Mercure where we were staying was quite a long way away but the good news is it is on tomorrow's route and on the way to it we were able to visit the 12th century Cathedral of St Maurice with its very old stained glass. Hurrah tonight we have a lift, a trolley to carry our bags, BBC World and a huge room with AC and a fridge - and what is more the Wifi is excellent and I can actually send emails easily.

Looking across the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
I think it is for bird watching
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hot air ballons
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view with our coffee
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bountiful garden
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
To look like this there must be a hard worker
Heart 0 Comment 0
Making silage
Heart 0 Comment 0
And eating it
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plenty of clean bedding
Heart 0 Comment 0
These schist walls in this area remind me of Central Otago
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Angers Chateau
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cathedral of St Maurice
Heart 0 Comment 0
The stained glass
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 1,826 km (1,134 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0