Days 68 & 69 - Mataró then Train to Barcelona - Gorging in France ...Then Basquing in the Pyrenees - 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 24, 2023 to June 25, 2023

Days 68 & 69 - Mataró then Train to Barcelona

Start of the Final Countdown

We’re now sitting in the departure lounge of the Barcelona airport with our flight delayed by 2hrs and 15 GB of data to eat through, so I might as well get this post written up before the days blur into a single hot mess … and it was hot.

This post covers Saturday 24th June, our second day in Materó and Sunday, our travel day into Barcelona. We’ll have two more full days in Barcelona that I’ll cover in another post before we fly home on Wednesday the 28th June.

As I already mentioned, it was hot with the temps in the low 30’s and high humidity. We did spend a bit of time at one of the beaches in Materó, the ‘dog beach’ that proved to be pretty entertaining, lots of well behaved dogs having more fun than their owners, but other than that it was a pretty low key day spent mostly trying to stay cool.

Yesterday we were really surprised by the number of firecrackers being set off everywhere we went. This continued all through the night until about 1 pm. We were wondering if this was a beach holiday thing, but it was getting to be pretty annoying.

Well it turns out that today, 24th June, is the celebration of St Joan (St John the Baptist) and it’s a big thing in Catalonia. A major part of the celebrations involves firecrackers and fireworks the night before (i.e last night) followed by a street party and dinner in every neighbourhood.

We changed hotels for today (couldn’t get two nights in the same place , probably related to this being a weekend and the St Joan celebrations) and the new hotel we were in was along Carrer St Joan. We’d find out the significance of this later in the evening.

In true Griswold fashion we found ourselves wandering around the pedestrian Ramblas area in the mid afternoon siesta … and it was a ghost town. A very hot ghost town. We decided to take a cue from the locals and head back to our hotel, with good AC, and have our own siesta.

At about 5 pm we were jarred awake by pretty loud drumming and chanting right outside our hotel. When we went out to check out what was happening there was a full-on crowded St Joan celebration going on and the ‘ghost town’ street we were on a few hours before was now a fully packed carnival with very large effigies, games for kids and a stage with a band playing. None of this was here 2 hours before! 

There was nothing left for us to do but join the party, so we did.

We eventually made it up to our dinner date at Sangiovese, another Monsieur M recommended restaurant about 20 m away from where we ate last night. Tonight’s dinner was a completely different atmosphere,-more old school refinement and white linens, but the food and service was equally as good. When we were on our way back to our hotel around 10:30, the street party and dinners on Carrer Sant Joan were still in full swing. It was a nice touch to see this ‘real Mataró’ instead of the more tourist beach scene just a km away.

Our only plan for Sunday was to catch the commuter train into Barcelona, about 30 km’s and 40 minutes away. There were trains leaving every hour so we planned on catching one around noon that’s would get us into Barcelona about the same time as our Air B&B check in time.

That all went to plan. The staff at the train station were helpful in making sure we knew what to do with our bikes, and the platform we were leaving from was just a few steps away from the ticket turnstiles. This combined with a ‘roll on’ bike car made the journey pretty easy. The train was pretty crowded but everyone played ‘nice’ with us and our bikes and we were soon in Barcelona.  Our ride to the B&B was about 15 minutes on well marked and controlled bike lanes and we rode right past the Sagrada Familia … one our our planned ‘sites’ for the next couple of days. 

We got checked in then got our gear organized for the flight home. It was Sunday, and siesta time, so all the grocery stores and other services were closed, but we managed to find enough stuff (just) to pull together a decent pasta dinner and we sorted out where the closest post office was so we could get our bike boxes first thing tomorrow.

The end of the trip is fast approaching but we’re happy to have a couple of days to kick around this beautiful city. We were here about 20 years ago for a long weekend with our kids, but is was in March and it was very quiet. It’s now two decades later in the heat of summer so it’s going to be a whole new experience.

SOTD's - Carnival, Natalie Merchant.

Beautiful song and her video perfectly captures what we've been doing, and will continue to do over the next couple of days.

Here we are in the main pedestrian area of the Mataró town centre at about 3 pm - siesta time. Not a soul in site and every shop closed tight.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Two hours later outside our hotel, at the corner of Carrer Sant Joan (Saint John Street in englais!). Full on party underway for the Sant Joan celebrations
Heart 2 Comment 0
This day (24th June - Sant Joan day) is an important celebration in Catalonia and we've been told that it's largely neighbourhood street parties. And when your neighbourhood has Carrer Sant Joan in it, you'd better do it up good!
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Mataró, and a number of other Catalonian towns, the street names are laid our in metal plaques along the street. Pretty cool IMHO
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner was at Sangiovese, another M Michelin recommended place. Another excellent 'Sant Joan day' set menu. There seems to be a reasonable amount of Iberian and Asian fusion cuisine every where we go. This is their go at Gyoza, with so-sweet langoustines and ponzu. Very tasty! So was the guacamole in the back!
Heart 0 Comment 0
... and then a pulled pork Bao, equally tasty (in fact this was the fav for both K and me)
Heart 0 Comment 0
... or maybe it was this ceviche that was our fav??
Heart 0 Comment 0
... but there was also this really great tempura zucchini flower with mozzarella and anchovy .... It's too hard to pick a fav!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the walk home the Sant Joan celebrations were still going strong
Heart 1 Comment 0
The musical entertainment was over but the effigy's were still hanging about
Heart 1 Comment 0
The party had transitioned to the neighbourhood street dinner. Multi generational tables all set up outside the apartments and everyone having a great time.
Heart 2 Comment 2
ann and steve maher-wearyI loved seeing your dishes from dinner. It all looks amazing and as you said delicious. However I love this too, everyone outside eating together. I wish we did more of things like this in Canada.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo ann and steve maher-wearyYes I agree. We have had a few opportunities to participate in something similar to this and it great. Multiple generations mixing with neighbours etc. It creates a great community.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The train into Barcelona (a 'on the hour' commuter line) was pretty straightforward and convenient. No pics though as it was pretty crowded with lots of stops. Once in Barcelona we had a ~15 minute ride to our Apartment ... right past the Sagrada Familia! This pic was taken later in the evening after the crowds had diminished. Still an active construction zone, as it has been for just over 140 years, but it's very close to being finished. We'll tour this in a couple of days when Callum is here with us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An amazing building, Antoni Gaudi's masterpiece
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonThis is an amazing cathedral! It’s definitely in my top 3 and the most unique of any cathedrals I’ve seen. We had a great tour guide when we saw it.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
We were here in February 2004 and it's so cool to see how much the construction has progressed. It was just a shell and major construction zone then, It's now a functioning basilica with the construction mostly done.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful evening light to capture the west sides of the basilica
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Was George Lucas inspired by this????
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gaudi's work was, and still is, so 'out there' compared to more traditional architects
Heart 1 Comment 0
Each piece of the structure and ornamentation has specific meaning in the Catholic liturgy - almost completely lost on me - but very meaningful to Gaudi who was an ardent believer.
Heart 2 Comment 0
To me, the consummate agnostic / atheist / philistine (take your pick), it just looks cool. Good enough for me to appreciate it, and to appreciate the art, craft and technical elements required to bring it all together.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More to come in the next post .... much more!
Heart 2 Comment 0
A perfect evening in an amazing place!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0