Day 65 - In Sant Feliu - Gorging in France ...Then Basquing in the Pyrenees - 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2023

Day 65 - In Sant Feliu

Dog Days of Summer

We really shouldn’t be allowed to have days like today. 

What did we do today? More or less strolled every street in the old town (and there aren’t that many) and checked out all the restaurants, cafes and bars (of which they’re a surprisingly large number). And then we ate at a number of them.

That’s it.

We did get caught up on emails and started to work some of the logistical details of the end of our trip, which is fast approaching. With that, our minds also started turning to things that await us when we get back home, and we got confirmation today of one big thing that will have quite a big impact on us.

We will be getting another Lab puppy to raise and train for the next ~14 -18 months just a few weeks after we get home. Back in April of 2020 we were rookie puppy raisers for the Alberta BC Guide Dog Association and we learned so much from that experience that we said that we’d do it again after our next big trip. The cards fell into place over the last few weeks and we got an e-mail today letting us know which puppy (out of 14 that were born in two litters in late May) is being assigned to us. Not a bad thing to find out on the first day of summer.

We still have quite a bit to do before then though such as, well, finish this trip and spend some time checking out Barcelona. It’s been 20 years since we were there with our kids, and our son will be joining us there for a few days. It will be interesting to get his perspective after exploring it as an eight year old back in 2003 and then seeing it again now. I’m quite curious to see the changes that have occurred at Sagrada Familia as it’s nearing its completion after more than 140 years of construction.

Anyway, that’s for a few days from now. We will be back on the bikes for another couple of short days between then and now.

SOTD - Carey, Joni Mitchell

“The wind is in from Africa

Last night I couldn't sleep 

Oh, you know it sure is hard to leave here, Carey

But it's really not my home“

It’s not Malala, but we’re on a beach in a tourist town on the Mediterranean… and it’s hot at night … and we’re starting to think about going home. Only Joni can capture these sentiments in song ….

Many places now do ‘small plates; for sharing - we like this style of eating and tonight it was Cafe Elisa in the Central market square. Less crowded and a little more local than the beach front. Lovely fresh green salad to start
Heart 3 Comment 0
Tuna tataki ….
Heart 3 Comment 0
Scallops with crispy Iberian ham and ponzu
Heart 3 Comment 0
Perfectly cooked and tender Puplo with red pepper hummus
Heart 1 Comment 0
Razor clams with an incredibly light and airy citrus mouse
Heart 2 Comment 0
We each picked a dessert … K went with Valencia orange juice with ice cream … very nice, but ..
Heart 2 Comment 0
I went with this and the errant spoon tells the story of who won this match up!
Heart 3 Comment 2
Karin KaarsooThat looks rather good!!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Karin KaarsooThey both were. The chocolate one ha ferro rocher in it apparently.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Lot’s of pup’s out for dinner tonight too … we we’re kind of focused on the pooch’s today! These guys look happy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Big Dog and mini-me. Goldens always look so laid back and happy
Heart 2 Comment 0
That’s all folks!
Heart 6 Comment 2
Rose TobiasVery exciting to hear you'll be getting puppy number 2.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Rose TobiasWe are looking forward to it.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago



Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonYou definitely have earned a day like this! That’s so great you are getting a lab puppy to train.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Rachael AndersonWe are looking forward to welcoming the new pup. He is black and his name is Levi.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago