Day 58 - Figueres to Cadaques - Gorging in France ...Then Basquing in the Pyrenees - 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2023

Day 58 - Figueres to Cadaques

Time For Our Meds

Today marks the start of the Mediterranean and final segment of our tour. 

It certainly didn’t feel very Mediterranean as it was still raining in the morning and the winds were blowing at about 30 km/hr from the north. We had a very short day of about 40 km’s and one 300 m climb to Cadaques, the classic white plaster village of the coast. 

The rain was forecast to stop around noon, the sun was supposed to come out, and the temperatures would start to rise considerably, so we spent the morning having a look around Figueres. 

This is the ‘home town’ of Salvador Dali and there’s a large museum here dedicated to him. There is also a very large 18th century fortress on the hill overlooking Figueres so we thought we would give both of them a look before we pedalled away to the sea.

First up was the Fortress, and it was large. It also stopped raining by the time we got up there. Those are the highlights. To say the least we were underwhelmed after taking the standardized walking tour through the largely empty and sterile place. At least we had enough time to head back into town and have a coffee before our noon scheduled appointment at the Dali museum (we are slowly learning that it’s a good thing to book tickets in advance for popular places in Europe). As we were queued up to get in for the ‘12:00 tour’, the sun was now out in full force and it was heating up. The tourist scene was also heating up. This is a popular attraction, and from the looks of things, the main draw for tourists in Figueres (not including our famous El Motel!). Even though it was a Wednesday in mid June, this was easily the most crowded place we’ve been so far on this tour. 

I think on a less crowded day we would have stuck around longer and had a better exploration of the eclectic Dali collection housed here. There was everything from mundane though to bizarre, and I’m sure everyone who came through will have a different reaction, but unfortunately our reaction, primarily driven by the crowds, was ‘see this quick and start pedalling’. So that’s what we did.

As you’ll see from the elevation profile below, it was a 25 km pedal across a flat, and pretty featureless agricultural basin formed by the confluence of a number of rivers as we headed to Roses on the coast. From there we climbed over the headlands along the Cap de Creus peninsula and then dropped down into the rocky mountain rimmed bay of Cadaques.

Several people throughout our trip have remarked how beautiful Cadaques is and how we were going to love it. We think they might be right. It’s definitely a coastal tourist town but the physical limits of the geography it keep it pretty small and the beaches are small and rocky, again limiting the amount of mass beach tourism that neither K are I are fans of.

The buildings were brilliant white, plastered against the brown and olive green hills. The sea was a deep blue and the sky a different hue, but still deep blue. And it was now officially hot (for us). We found our lovely ground floor apartment that was a block away from the water (and a serious push up rough cobblestone on impossibly narrow streets), let ourselves in with the help of the excellent instructions that were texted to us, cleaned up and then went for a stroll along the waterfront and just took it all in. 

Dinner was at a waterside seafood restaurant, salad, razor clams, sea bass for K and monkfish for me. Almost exactly what we envisioned dinner by the med being … and a gelato on our stroll home along the waterfront.

We’re here for two nights and we can tell this is going to be very relaxing!

Heart 0 Comment 1
ann and steve maher-wearyYou pack a lot in a day, and then you had the climb. Impressive!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

SOTD - Dreadlock Holiday by 10CC.

OK, I know this isn’t Jamaica, but on our stroll around town people watching, we know we’re in a beach town given the number of ‘beach dreadlock’ folks we saw. The full range from the 20 somethings  who are off on their walkabouts through to the 60 something ‘California Dreads’ with the multicolour neon clothing and bleached coiffed dreadlocks, including their beards (I know coiffed dreadlock sounds like an oxymoron, but they exist … right here in Cadaques). This one worked for us today. Pretty cheesy video … so ‘70’s, but you’ve got to go with the original!

Great bike room at Hotel Emporda … home of El Motel!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Classic vintage telephone booth in the Hotel. This gives an indication of the overall ambience of the place. Old school elegance
Heart 0 Comment 1
Mike AylingDid it have a rotary dial or the new fangled push buttons?
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Just about to start the self guided walking tour of the citadel … and its stopped raining.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This was the most interesting thing I saw at the citadel… well, this and the horse stables which I didn’t take any pictures of.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Now in the courtyard in front of the Dali museum. I know how you feel buddy, throngs of unruly tourists and it’s only June!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dali’s take on the same issue!
Heart 2 Comment 0
At least there was interesting stuff to see while you’re queued up to get in (woe betide you if you didn’t pre-purchase tickets)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Le voila, balancing a baguette on your nose
Heart 2 Comment 0
At the Salvador Dali museum
Heart 2 Comment 0
At the Salvador Dali museum. Playing around with some camera settings to embellish the work … as if it needs it!
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Salvador Dali museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
Time to move on. It’s now early afternoon, the sun is out and it’s getting hot!
Heart 2 Comment 0
We are definitely in a Mediterranean climate now
Heart 1 Comment 0
They’ve just started to open up
Heart 4 Comment 0
We had about 8 km’s of gravel farm roads, all in good condition, flat and dry.
Heart 2 Comment 0
First crop of hay off and baled. Approaching Roses, Cadaques is on the other side of the ridge in the background
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching Roses. The flats are about to end as we start the only climb of the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
About 2/3 of the way up the climb. Our road tops out on the saddle in the middle, it does not continue to the radar station and telecoms towers on the summit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The final 1/2 km of the climb. Much more arid and hotter than where we’ve been for the last two weeks
Heart 0 Comment 0
First look at Cadaques. Beautiful!
Heart 2 Comment 0
The road up to our apartment. Beautiful still!
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Cadaques along the water front
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Cadaques along the water front
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Cadaques along the water front
Heart 2 Comment 0
Grilled Razor clams … very simple, very good!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Grilled monkfish, simple and good again
Heart 1 Comment 0
Grilled sea bass, simple and good yet again
Heart 1 Comment 0
And in honour of Jeff Lebowski … a wonderful bottle of, The Dude. We have just discovered this varietal, Godello, when we got to San Sebastian. It is sensational with seafood and we’ve been getting it when we can.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Good night from Cadaques! Our beach bumming days have started.
Heart 4 Comment 1

Today's ride: 39 km (24 miles)
Total: 2,509 km (1,558 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0