Day 13 - Domestique en Valence - Gorging in France ...Then Basquing in the Pyrenees - 2023 - CycleBlaze

April 30, 2023

Day 13 - Domestique en Valence

No Biking But Still Gorging

Today was a much needed and appreciated rest day. In respect of that, here’s the readers digest version of today.

We slept in at our very nice and quiet apartment.

We wandered about the apartment, drinking coffee and tea, doing not much of anything until the urge hit to get the CB journals updated and the laundry finished.

With that out of the way, we headed into town to find something to eat. Knowing this is Sunday, and tomorrow is a major national holiday, we knew our options would be limited … oh, and it as after 1 pm …. Really risky maneuver.

We were lucky and scored the last table at Gigi, a popular place we walked by last night, and more important, the only place we saw that was open today. The ‘last table’ meant being snugged up right against the serving widow by the kitchen, but it was fun to interact with the folks who were actually cooking our food. 

Two great pizzas consumed we retired back to our apartment to… do not much of anything. Bliss.

As 7 pm approached we had our next important activity, dinner at André. This is the ‘baby sibling’ bistro to Maison Pic, the three generation, trois étoiles, establishment next door. 

It was wonderful. Friendly, full, multigenerational (the table next to us was the classic three generation French family with a toddler in a high chair pulled up to the table, eating the same thing as everyone else) … the world as it should be everywhere.

Tomorrow we get back on the road and head south to try to pack in the Nesque gorge. The weather shows the wind picking up, and around here the winds can be massive, but they are in our favour for the next few days. By the time we get near Ventoux / Nesque we may need to reevaluate, but that’s an eternity away in bike touring time.

That’s all folks!

On a Sunday in France, if you phaff about all morning you’re really taking a risk of getting anything to eat! Scored the last table at Gigi - great pizza. all is good in the world.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A redo with a new model of the same picture we took in 2018.
Heart 5 Comment 0
I just liked this. Very interesting planter.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Kirsten’s crab soufflé entre. It was superb
Heart 4 Comment 0
My grilled octopus and humus entre - equally superb
Heart 4 Comment 0
My duck breast with gnocchi - as you may have guessed - superb
Heart 3 Comment 0
Kirsten’s main - catch of the day with a white bean veloute - this one was different -marvy!
Heart 3 Comment 0

SOTD - another re-run, but a great song…

Beautiful Tango by Hindi Zarah, a wonderful Morrocan/French artist

Bon nuit.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonHappy Anniversary!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lyle McLeodThank you! This was the third we’ve spent in France -one, two and then a long wait until 34
Reply to this comment
1 year ago