Layover in Foix - Girona to Bilbao 2014 - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2014

Layover in Foix

Mas d'Azil, some rain, and a breakdown

Rachael's toe is still dark today, but improving. The swelling has gone down almost completely and seems like it should be OK for cycling, but it is uncomfortable for walking still. For much of today it looked like we would be rained out anyway though. We stayed around the hotel all morning, reading our books and watching a steady rain fall outside, and puzzling at how different it was than the weather report we were looking at on the iPad.

At 1 it eased up a bit and we went out to a creperie for a tasty lunch. While we ate, conditions improved enough that we decided to take our chances and get in whatever ride we could. In getting ready to go, we checked the weather one last time and finally discovered that there is a second Foix in France in the Dordogne, and we had been following weather of 100 miles away. At our Foix, an afternoon of partial clearing was due.

The ride we did fit in was quite pretty - a generally low elevation route that took in Mas d'Azil, a remarkable site that we were glad not to have missed. It is a huge, open-ended cave through which both the Arize river and the road pass through. Perhaps a quarter of a mile long, the tunnel is quite eerie to cycle through, listening to the rushing water echoing inside the huge cavern and with weak light barely illuminating the walls.

Not long after leaving the tunnel we turned off onto a smaller, nearly traffic-free side road; and shortly thereafter Rachael commented that something on her bike was rubbing. It proved to be her collapsed front tire, so we settled in to fix our first flat of the trip. We are riding Schwalbe Marathons, which are wonderful in that they almost never get flats - but awful in that they are almost impossible to mount or remove from the rims of a Bike Friday. It's a notorious problem and difficult trade off. Unfortunately I had not thought to bring along my heavy duty lever on our day ride; and after breaking one of my other set we decided to try to flag down a car. Remarkably, almost immediately one came around the bend and stopped for us, and had a hatchback with enough room for Rachael's bike after folding it up. Yay, folding bicycles!

They spoke no English, but they recognized the name of our hotel; so, off they went with Rachael and her BF, leaving me to cycle the remaining 15 miles alone. I arrived at 7:30 - just in time to shower and head to supper. Within five minutes of entering the restaurant, a downpour broke out. I felt very lucky that we had arrivived safely and dry. Hopefully in the morning I can change the tire - especially since it's the weekend and nothing will be open tomorrow.

Net elevation gain: 2,700' today, 51,000' total.

Video clip, Mas d'Azil: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=73ED18EEC8BA7424!553&authkey=!ANWq363Ge66m-PY&ithint=video%2c.mp4

Waiting out the rain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pasturelands west of Foix
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Arize valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the Arize
Heart 0 Comment 0
Outcrop west of Mas d'Azil
Heart 0 Comment 0
The south entrance to the cave at Mas d'Azil - river on the left, cars and bikes on the right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the cave/tunnel
Heart 0 Comment 0
The north entrance to the cave
Heart 0 Comment 0
The castle at Foix
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dry and happy
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 675 miles (1,086 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0