Layover in Accous - Girona to Bilbao 2014 - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2014

Layover in Accous

A hike to Lac de Lhurs

We began the day by dropping down two miles to the supermarket to pick up lunch supplies, and then turned around and climbed to Lescun again. I was pleased that the climb seemed easier this morning - I think yesterday's short day must have helped me recover a bit. At the top, we continued another mile or so beyond the village to the parking lot near the trailhead to Lac de Lhurs.

It was a wonderful hike, and wonderful conditions for it. The day began in a slight fog that quickly burned off, and was sunny and mild for most of the rest of the day. The trail is a long, steady three hour climb to the lake, which sits in a small depression between neighboring crags. Parts of the trail are through a hemlock/birch forest, but most of it is open and provides a steadily changing panorama of amazing views. Some stretches feel a bit precarious, commanding our full attention as it traverses steep rocky slopes.

The lake, at 5,600', is at about the snow line. Nearing it, we crossed several patches of snow; and we stopped just at the beginning of the lake because the trail was feeling too sloppy to continue on. As everywhere, it is all melting fast - I'm sure in another two weeks this would feel like a quite different outing. We ate our lunches on a rise above the lake, enjoying magnificent views around. Surely one of the best picnic spots we have enjoyed anywhere.

In the early evening the skies clouded over; and a bit before dinner the first of a series of thunderstorms passed through bringing fierce winds, lightning and a short, heavy rain. It was exciting to look out the window of our room looking t the rains blowing across the hills and the trees whipping about wildly.

Net elevation gain: 1,900' today, 87,900' total.

Fog lingered over the cirque as we left Lescun
Heart 0 Comment 0
Le Billare rises above us as we approach our trailhead
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many great views along the ascent to the lake
Heart 0 Comment 0
These gentians were among the dozens of varieties of wildflowers that dotted the fields
Heart 0 Comment 0
Large patches of snow still covered the upper trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nearing the lake
Heart 0 Comment 0
The near edge of Lac de Lhurs. The mountains behind mark the Spanish border, about a mile away.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch at the top, one of the best picnic sites ever
Heart 0 Comment 0
The edge of Lac de Lhurs. I think most of it is still around the bend and through the snow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At Lac de Lhurs
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading home
Heart 0 Comment 0
A colorful cliff face along the descent
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the slopes of the cirque's basin
Heart 0 Comment 0
Returning to the basin
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just before dinner, thunderstorms passed over our hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 17 miles (27 km)
Total: 1,030 miles (1,658 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0