Girona - Girona to Bilbao 2014 - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2014

Girona

Arriving to the Temps de Flors

Our departure was one of the easiest overseas flights I can recall. We had an excellent itinerary - just two flights, with a single layover in Philadelphia. We had a bit of a scare at PDX when our flight was delayed about 90 minutes because someone forgot to plug the plane in so we had to wait for its batteries to recharge. We had enough leeway though so that we still made our next connection, and were very relieved to arrive in Barcelona and find our bikes and luggage had kept pace. From Barcelona we caught a bus to Girona, and then a taxi to our hotel in the old city. The taxi ride was remarkable, watching the driver navigate the ridiculously narrow streets jammed with pedestrians packing themselves into doorways as we inched by them.

We arrived at our hotel before 1, still fresh enough so that we could strike out for a tour of the old city and for a much needed lunch. We were delighted to discover that we had arrived in the heart of Temps de Flors, Girona's week-long spring flower festival. It is a wonderful affair, pairing an endless series of creative floral displays with an open house in many of the city's fine old monuments and mansions. We happily joined in with the throng of sightseers snaking their way past one striking display after another.

By midafternoon we had had it though, and dragged our way back to the room to crash for an hour or so. Afterwards I reassembled the bikes and then we went out for another look around a bit before sundown.

Sacked out on the bus to Girona
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Temps de Flors
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Temps de Flors
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the Temps de Flors
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Temps de Flors
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachael on the Eiffel Bridge, Girona
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Temps de Flors
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quilted car
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vegetable demon
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Eiffel Bridge (yes, that Eiffel), brightened up for Temps de Flors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Drying carrots
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the cloisters, Girona Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
Catch of the day
Heart 0 Comment 0
Feeding the multitudes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Galligants Monastery
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cabbage patch kid
Heart 0 Comment 0
Girona and the Onyar River
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Arab Baths
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0