Wednesday 22 June. Day 6: Skopje to Tetovo - Slowly in Macedonia (2016) - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2016

Wednesday 22 June. Day 6: Skopje to Tetovo

You'll be pleased to know we actually got cracking properly on the cycling today.

Packed and ready to go
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a 6am start from the hotel, we stopped after about 5km on the outskirts of Skopje for burek and yogurt (buttermilk).

Breakfast burek
Heart 0 Comment 0
The last bits of Skopje before we turned onto the country roads
Heart 0 Comment 0

The road was the old one, just next to the E65/A2 - main highway to Ohrid - for most of the day. Hot and sunny with small breaks under the road overpasses in search of shade, with a constant little annoying climb over the first 30km. No photos of us underway today. To be honest it was a pretty dull road with many big closed restaurants/function centres, car yards and half built shop/houses. An industrial and residential sprawl between each of the little villages with the odd petrol station positioned to service both the old and the new road. Then we got a nice happy downhill that required no brakes on a wide and reasonable road before the last little bit into town through more car yards...

In Tetovo we headed up the road 'Marshall Tito' towards the road Ilindeniska (named after the Ilinden uprising). There are Marshall Tito named streets in all the towns we visited...

Exciting Tetovo!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tetovo is very Albanian, so Ramadan was in full swing. We visited a supermarket for fruit, cold water and peach juice, then a bakery for burek and a cabbage filled pastry, before eating lunch in the room of our hotel. The Hotel Lirak was quite fancy but very friendly. Our bikes lived at the back of reception.

In the early evening we went for a walk around the town. Hardly anything was in Macedonian and the language on the street was mostly Albanian.

River Pena with the 15th C. ottoman/Turkish baths on the right side of the bank.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Xhamia E Larme in Albanian, Шарена Џамија (Šarena Džamija) in Macedonian, Alaca Cami in Turkish. The three languages of Tetovo. Or the Painted Mosque in English...
Heart 1 Comment 0
Early evening Tetovo.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a fairly uninspiring dinner in a restaurant setting up for the rush at 8.38pm that evening (the sun was due to set in about 45 mins), we had an early night.

Whilst eating a bit of gelato and a single Tulumba (the donut in syrup on the top of the counter), we watched a stream of people in the shop buying boxes of cakes for their Iftar meal in a couple of hours' time.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 77 km (48 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0