THE END - Slowly in Macedonia (2016) - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2016

THE END

We definitely travelled by bike, rather than did a getting from A to B bike tour. Nine days of actual cycling in a 3 week trip, although we did use the bikes on other days in Skopje. Although not a massive number of kms, we saw lots of the country, climbed many many metres, and did lots of interesting touristy activities. It was a great trip. Cooler weather would have made it much much easier of course!

I really don't mind riding the folding Tern bike. It is comfortable and stable. The disappointing thing is how much work it takes to fold the bike for plane travel. I had a fantasy that it would somehow be quicker. It's not. You still need to break it down quite a lot. However, having a bike in a wheelie suitcase (even if large and heavy) is heaps easier than dealing with a full sized bike box for getting to and from airports etc. With a few extra kilos because of status credits on Singapore Airlines (and paying in advance for extra kilos on Pegasus), we could just check the bags in in a normal way. That was easy.

I think next time I will go back to using the soft bag, with padding. I used that method to and from Italy the year before.

Please visit Macedonia!

Most of the blogs on CGOAB and other journals are people getting through the country as quickly as possible on their way to other places. In my opinion, there is lots to recommend Macedonia as a destination in its own right. Food, history, variety of cultures, interesting politics, music, great landscapes and (if you like them) mountain roads. It's also pretty affordable. We spend quite a lot on accommodation as this was our vacation for the year. But quite a lot was maximum EUR50 for a double in a good quality hotel inclusive of breakfast. You could spend heaps less. Lots of wild camping options, but not many paid campsites except in high summer in tourist places.

Did I mention the good food? Lots of beans, cheese, salads and vegetables for the vegetarians, but also excellent BBQ meats and seafood for those that partake. Excellent versions of 'pie' - filo style pastry with cheese, spinach, leek and sometime meat - are everywhere and cheap. You could do the whole tour on burek and drinking yogurt/buttermilk and spend almost no money on food.

Please send a message if have any questions!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonThanks for posting this, Catherine. I missed this post over on CGOAB, and was excited to see it here. I’ve never seen anything about biking in Macedonia, and this gave us a peek into what might be in store for us on our current tour, which will end in Ohrid after six weeks in Greece and two in Albania. Heat wave! Ramadan! We had plenty to worry about as it was.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Catherine HastingsHi Scott,
Thank you for your comment - let me know if you need any information about Macedonia.... and I look forward to reading about Albania. We didn't get there, but would love to in the future. I'll be reading along.
I enjoyed your Sicily trip a couple of years ago too!
Catherine
Reply to this comment
5 years ago