This trip: A few things about the trip and us - Slowly in Macedonia (2016) - CycleBlaze

This trip: A few things about the trip and us

We are Catherine and Malcolm. We have done a number of short tours together around parts of NSW (Australia) and in Europe over the years. We both love to travel and enjoy doing that sometimes by bike.

This trip will be using our Tern folding bikes. After a trip to Sri Lanka over Christmas 2014/15 with our Surly LHTs - where bikes in boxes and the logistics of managing them with other luggage for a 3-4 week trip was painful - we decided to give folding bikes a go. I'll write up some thoughts on this experiment at the end of the journal.

At the last minute (i.e. in Skopje) we decided to make this a hotel/B&B tour. There are many hills in Macedonia and the weather was going to be hot and sunny. Having access to showers and airconditioning every day and not having to shlep camping gear up the hills won out in the end. Although normally we both like to camp at least a good proportion of the time.

The main point of this trip is to visit and experience Macedonia. Therefore we may not cycle long days and will certainly take some off to see things that need more time. If we need to use public transport we will. Travelling by bike, rather than bike touring perhaps?

WARNING: There will be lots of photos of food!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0