Monday 4 June. Day 18: Prilep to Negotino - Slowly in Macedonia (2016) - CycleBlaze

July 4, 2016

Monday 4 June. Day 18: Prilep to Negotino

After a B&B breakfast of burek, yoghurt, fruit salad and ice-cream (!??!) we started our ride with a bit of a climb into a head wind. It died down just as the sun came out on the gradually busier road. Not the most exciting km of the trip.

Looking back to Prilep as we climbed away in the morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The downhill, when it came, had big drop-offs on our side of the road – so it was all a bit stressful. But it was LONG.

Just before the big downhill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
By the side of the road
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lovely cutting, after which the traffic started to drop, except for the trucks.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Eventually we came through a very pretty bit of road in a series of cuttings and shortly after lost the Skopje traffic. We still had lots of trucks from heavy industries in the area. We later enjoyed reading all about Feni Industries for example (producing ‘ferronickel’ – hence the name), with its 36km long conveyor belt built in 1980 for transporting ore (which we saw part of from the road). Along much of the same road, next to the factories, were numerous wineries. Mmmm.

Wine, with added industrial pollution you would think??
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Kavadarci – the windiest town ever – we stopped for cold drinks at the supermarket, then looked for somewhere to eat lunch. Eventually we found a cheap, plastic tablecloth, staff wearing lab coats, old-school restaurant where we had a basic meal. If we had just wanted to drink beer and smoke, we could have chosen anyone of a number of other much fancier establishments for lunch.

Our very cheap and cheerful lunch in Kavadarci at a local 'workers' cafe style establishment. In contrast to all the full bars lining the streets that didn't serve any food even though it was lunchtime.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then a final push up yet another big enough hill of about 300m climb in 5km or so on narrow roads – this time with lots of trees blocking the views of cars coming up behind us. Lucky drivers here really are used to slow vehicles…

We arrived in Negotino and got a room at an oasis of a hotel above a Pamela brand petrol station. It was a hoot. The ‘resort complex’ included (and I kid you not): petrol station, convenience store, large hotel and conference centre, swimming pool and sunning terrace, winery, mechanic’s workshop and a shop selling white goods. Ha! Our room was huge and included a sauna. The place was full of families stopping off on long holiday drives to other parts of Europe.

The pool at the Pamela Oil hotel and 'resort' complex in Negotino.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We swam, drank juice on the terrace and enjoyed the local pop music on offer via the sound system.

Dinner at Pamela Oil Hotel!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Malcolm's cycling glove tan and a salad that was better than it looked.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 450 km (279 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0