Nogent-le-Rotrou to Le Mêle-sur-Sarthe - The French Connections - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2021

Nogent-le-Rotrou to Le Mêle-sur-Sarthe

Today wasn't a punch-in, punch-out day. We didn't know quite what to expect from today's segment of the Veloscenie, but we did know that it was going to be on the short side. We woke to a chilly, dewy scene, which led us to start late rather than finish early. It's always nice to have things on the dry side when you pack them up.

We made a trip to Aldi so as not to get caught in the Sunday Trap that has plagued us in Europe in the past. Most places here are at least open in the morning on Sundays, including the Aldi just up the road from camp. We seriously considered visiting the nearby chateau, but opted instead for a lazy morning at the campsite. It was fun to watch the current and hear the occasional fish jump. We also had some minor maintenance to perform on our bikes. They've been working hard these past few days!

A few years ago, a free spirit of a stranger stopped me when I was leaving the market with my bike. She asked me, "What's your bike's name?" I told her it didn't have one, and she flashed a look of disappointment before returning to her chirpy self. It made me think of all the people I know who have named their bikes, and how I should name my bike. Maybe this isn't too creative, but I finally have an idea. How does Rocinante sound? About three years too late, right?

Most of today's ride looked like this:

Heart 0 Comment 0

...which is just splendid. There were some hills at the beginning, and a hilly detour to add a little variety and sweat to the festivities. Mostly it was flat, quiet, and green. Being le weekend and all, there were plenty of people out enjoying the trail. I got to have my first conversation in French when a couple asked me about the detour while I was still a ways in front of Sunyoung. I find that when someone else is looking for help, I have plenty of confidence doing the word-here-and-there, hand-gesture song-and-dance, but when we're looking for help, I curl up into a little ball and let Sunyoung do all the heavy lifting. In fact, I think she's the exact opposite. What a team.

Before lunch, we raced to the center of Rémalard-en-Perche in order to grab a nice drink of some sort. We made it to the shop with eight minutes to spare, but of course, they had locked up early. Quel dommage. However, our failed quest led us to discover the most bucolic picnic spot imaginable -- even better than yesterday's. Here's a sample:

Heart 1 Comment 0

Our lunch was just as pretty, in its own famished-cyclist way:

Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived at our destination just after 5pm, right on schedule. The office was closed, so we called the number on the door and left a message. They replied by text that we could camp and then pay in the morning. Easy peasy.

A nameless Frenchman soon arrived on his bike. He had a thick regional accent of some sort, so Sunyoung could barely understand him. He came over with a couple of plastic chairs that he had snagged from somewhere near the office, and we thanked him profusely. We finally were able to communicate where we were coming from and going to, and Sunyoung deciphered enough of his story to figure out that he's spending 3 weeks riding around Normandy. Super cool guy! Just wish we could have had a longer chat.

The campground is next to a pretty lake that is fed by a large stream. There's a little spillway that should create just enough white noise to help us doze off easily. Speaking of which, it's getting close to bedtime. Pleasant dreams!

It feels very much like a rail trail, but there was no signage to prove it. Maybe I'll do some research later.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of many cool little buildings we stumble upon every day
Heart 2 Comment 0
A beautiful partner, a beautiful lake
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 359 km (223 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0