Beffes to Nevers / Beaune to Chagny - The French Connections - CycleBlaze

October 9, 2021

Beffes to Nevers / Beaune to Chagny

The awesome vélocamping turned out to be a little less awesome due to a couple of guys at what I guess is a house next to the campground talking loudly until after midnight. On the bright side, after that we rested fairly well, and, finding no one to pay for our use of the facilities, we got out of there scot free.

Then it was off to the market:

Heart 0 Comment 0

We rejoined the La Loire à Vélo for one last romp along the parallel canal. Finally we had to say our goodbyes. It was fun.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We never got to visit kilometer zero, but the trip to the Gare de Nevers was the same distance. It was rough at first, then a very nice bike lane took its place. We made it with 45 minutes to spare, giving us time to enjoy an early lunch.

The ride could not have been easier. A nearly empty train and ample bike stowage made our first TER experience stress-free.

Heart 0 Comment 0

 The station at Beaune was a little trickier, as we had a choice between stairs and a tiny elevator. I went for the elevator. I had to remove one of my front panniers to get the doors to close.

We soon found ourselves on the V51, which unbeknownst to me, is a very popular loop of Burgundy wine country:

Heart 0 Comment 0

The route climbed the hills little by little, taking us through a couple of cute villages along the way. Road bike clubbers and e-bike weekenders passed us by the score. Eventually we descended and left the route to make our way to a campground in Chagny. We splurged a little and got this cozy little wine barrel to sleep in:

Heart 2 Comment 0

We both agreed that the air feels clammy and chilly. No threat of rain, but once again we think we made a good choice. Tomorrow we're going to do our first bed and breakfast of the trip, so that should be fun. We're doing our best to transition out of camping mode. We have this routine and we're stubborn, even though we're growing weary of the never-ending chores required. The start of a new stage of our tour is the perfect time to get out of our comfort zone a little bit by introducing a little more comfort to our trip!

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 1,969 km (1,223 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0