Departure day: Trang - Phetchaburi (by train) - Frankie goes to.....the Gulf of Thailand (2022) - CycleBlaze

January 6, 2022

Departure day: Trang - Phetchaburi (by train)

Being that far south Trang has almost tropical climate which means far more rain than the North. At least the rain is usually quite warm but it still stopped me from doing considerably more cycling than the few hours I managed most mornings in preparation for this trip. I wish I could have done more but my fitness has definitely improved over the last two weeks and I have gained the confidence that my knees should be able to cope with pushing a 40+ kilo bike several hours a day. What I am not happy with is my shape though. It´s so hard to try and reduce my current weight ( 77 kg) back to what I consider ideal (72 kg) with the infinite choice of delicious food all around me. On the other hand the food is an essential part of my admiration for Thailand so may those kilograms drop while I am cycling....I assume you understand my weight-reduction-failure when I show you some very recent photos of my favourite meals below.

More importantly: I told you I would give you some more details on taking the bike on a Thai train and today is obviously the day to do so. I have commented on this particular topic before but I know there are a few new to-be cyclists from down under reading this blog so I am happy to share my experience again. From the nowadays easy online booking process to the purchase of the cargo ticket for the bicycle. All other details in the caption of the photos. 

Believe it or not, tomorrow I will actually be reporting on some cycling....

I have always preferred cereal for breakfast but the fresh and inexpensive tropical fruit in Thailand really lifts it to another dimension. Currently it`s pineapple and papaya season which are my two favourites anyway. Those tiny little pineapples in particular are from a different planet......
Heart 5 Comment 0
My train only left Trang at 5 pm so I took advantage of the first entirely dry day and had a last preparation ride down to the Andaman Sea south of Hat Pakmeng. There are some great underrated islands along this coastal part of the Trang Province like Koh Mook or Koh Sukorn
Heart 9 Comment 0
Today´s lunch: moo toard kra tiam zei kai dao (fried pork with garlic and fried egg) and pak kanaa nahm anhoi (chinese kale in oyster sauce). Both absolute standard dishes and the nahm sup (little bowl of broth) comes with it. This whole meal cost me 90 Baht (2.50 €)
Heart 4 Comment 0
This is my favourite vegetarian dish in the specialised Alternative Restaurant in Trang. It´s actually a southern speciality called khao yum. Three different rices with plenty of herbs that you all mix up before you dig into it. Super nice!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Early dinner at the Bussabongpeerapat house before departure. Octopus, prawns and omelette.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The unique Trang tuktuks outside the station
Heart 4 Comment 0
You have to register with Thai Railways to book your tickets but then the process has become really easy: Choose your route, pick the train you want and you will come to this site with the seat selection. I strongly recommend to go for the lower berth if you book yourself on the 2nd class sleeper. The beds are wider, you get a view and most importantly: the aircon is not blowing right at you. Well worth the extra 130 Baht. You see on this booking screenshot that only upper berths were available, indicated by the little ladder. The little figures indicate whether the taken berths have been booked by men or women.
Heart 3 Comment 0
You can´t book the bicycle with your normal ticket online but the process is easy enough and the same nationwide. Roll onto the platform and find the cargo office. Show them your normal ticket and tell them you are taking your bicycle. In very easy form: Bei Phetchburi, mee charkayan. They will understand what you are after and will issue the necessary paperwork. The price is the same whether you go just one station or all the way to Bangkok: 90 Baht (2.50 €). The cargo officer will attach the ticket slip to the bike and tell you where to put it. That´s it! Mind you you have to take the panniers into your compartment but my 4 panniers easily fit under my seat.
Heart 4 Comment 0
These are the seats before the beds are being made up. One person per bench.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Only one hour after departure the steward comes and offers to make up the beds. In this photo he is preparing the lower berth. I guess it comes across that the upper is definitels 2nd choice. You can ask him to come back later but I am always happy to have them converted instantly as it gives you....I
Heart 4 Comment 0
...maximum privacy. Close the curtain to the aisle and you are entirely by yourself.
Heart 4 Comment 0
That´s what the carriage looks like at night.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Andrew FatseasFrank! What on earth is in your panniers? 40kg!!!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Frank RoettgenI know Andrew!! Mind you the bike with its steel frame and Rohloff hub is already 20+ kgs, then all the related repair kits, the sun lotions, etc etc. I will never learn to do it like you or Bob!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Chris WeeTo Andrew FatseasYaba pills or gold bars.
Both are heavy.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago