Day 2: Hua Hin - Had Sam Roi Yod - Frankie goes to.....the Gulf of Thailand (2022) - CycleBlaze

January 8, 2022

Day 2: Hua Hin - Had Sam Roi Yod

Although the first 5 kilometers out of Hua Hin on the shoulder-free Phet Kasem Road (Hway 4) can be a bit tricky I absolutely adore this stage.  Once you have crossed the bridge there will be a wide shoulder and another 2 km down the Highway the real fun part of that section commences. A very well maintained separate cycle track running parallel to the dual carriageway. It continues a bit further than the 8 kilometers I did by I recommend to turn off onto the #1019 here, taking you down on a nice rural road to the Gulf at Paknam Pran. 

When you get down to that busy fishing village do turn left at the roundabout and go all the way up to the tip. Once you are down at the water and past all the seafood restaurants the next great track is waiting for you. More or less right on the water all the way down to Had Sam Roi Yod (Had means beach) . May the photos speak for themselves....

This time I had booked myself into the Namaste Resort. Only four units in a nice and quiet garden setting wth a 30 second walk down to the beach. Very friendly French/Thai owners and the rooms themselves well maintained and immaculately clean. I can`t really recommend any food place apart from the excellent pizza I had for lunch. The Coconut Pizza place is anything but cheap but comes as close to a good Italian woodfire pizza as I had it in Thailand plus they have tables right on the beach where you are anyway. Next to it is the Angel´s Beach Restaurant where I went for dinner but it is definitely overpriced and mellowed down for farang tongues....

Almost a "trademark photo" when I ride along here. Immediately after the start of the separate track this nursery welcomes you with an array of colours
Heart 5 Comment 0
Further on the colours go down to single digits but it is still a delightful ride. Spiced up with several toilet options, two 7eleven and even a Cafe Amazon
Heart 4 Comment 0
Along the #1019 another reason for my admiration: This area is pineapple country, by far my favourite fruit.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Parts of the Paknam Pran fishing fleet
Heart 4 Comment 0
As if the ride itself wouldn´t have been good enough, the prevailing Northeasterly at that time of year was blowing straight on my back as these Royal flags indicate.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
This green water pond belongs to the temple and is full of catfish that can be fed.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
The sunchairs will tell you: This is sunbathing territory! Despite the dedication to international tourism (prices and quality of food in particular!) Sam Roi Yod Beach will always be an overnight stop for me. It is still a very nice and quiet beach overall and I always managed to get a very decent room/bungalow very close to the beach for 600 Baht.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Very pleasant ride down the long beach to the "town center"
Heart 4 Comment 0
The formation at the northern end of the beach is called "reclining lady". Obviously...
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 132 km (82 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0