Vieux Boucau to Biarritz - Livin' the Dream: France to Portugal 2021 - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2021

Vieux Boucau to Biarritz

It was overcast when we headed off at 10:30 am.   After a quick 17 km we pulled in to the fancy beach town of Hossegor and pushed our bikes down the swish main pedestrian area looking for a bakery.   A little rain fell coming into Hossegor, so we were also looking for coffees to warm up.   We settled under a restaurant covered patio, ordered our coffees then Steve stepped next door to the bakery and ordered what might have been the best chocolatine to date along with a sublime almond torte with the almost sacrilegious name of Jesuit.

With success on the pastries, we went back to the same bakery for sandwiches to go.   Fortified and already looking forward to lunch, we crossed the river Bouret and were immediately in the town of Cap-Breton.  I can't believe this is what inspired settlers to name Cape Breton, NS because there wasn't a hill anywhere to be found. 

The bike path through to Bayonne was a mix of forest, industrial, and run-down residential.   Where is the Biarritz full of rich and famous beautiful people?   Then we crossed over the Adour River, cycling the south side and then along the coast into Biarritz where the views improved -dramatically.   As we climbed the hills, the famous lighthouse appeared.   We kept climbing and the beaches came into view.   The architecture is absolutely stunning.   Biarritz is an elegant seaside town that has been a popular resort since European royalty began visiting in the 1800s. 

We met our Air B&B host and by 4 pm we were looking out at the coast from our patio and then from the roof top swimming pool.   After nine nights, yes nine nights in a row in a tent (it has been fine, almost no rain!),  we had indoor accommodations with a view and a bed.   Ann is in heaven.   We have crossed the milestone of our first 1000 km and we are celebrating in Biarritz!"

 

More pine forests
Heart 4 Comment 0
Hossegor
Heart 2 Comment 0
The sun popped out for a shot of the harbour at Cap-Breton.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A tall ship in dry dock at the harbour in Bayonne.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith KleinHi,
I’m not totally sure, but that looks like the frigate Hermione,
a replica of the ship that brought Lafayette to America during the revolution. I saw her when I was in Bordeaux a couple of years ago.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyOh thanks for the information. We had no idea of the name of the ship as there was no information posted.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Coming into Biarritz the cycle route is tricky and the scenery is surprisingly run down.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Keith KleinHi,
Bayonne is definitely more proletarian than Biarritz. Good ham though!
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
And industrial
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ahh now we start to see the ritzy part of Biarritz.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Cap lighthouse shows we are almost there.
Heart 2 Comment 0
View of plage de Marinella from our apartment!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Cooling off in the rooftop pool.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Kelly MaherAww... so nice!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyYes a treat after a day of cycling. And warm water.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 1,101 km (684 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rob WearyWow, nine days in the tents. Annabelle and I are glad to see you guys relaxing by the pool!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyYes so glad to get a bed for three nights in Biarritz and now two more in San Sebastián!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago