Vieux-Boucau-les-Bains - Livin' the Dream: France to Portugal 2021 - CycleBlaze

September 28, 2021

Vieux-Boucau-les-Bains

An R&R day. 

It was time to clean a week's worth of sand off the bike chains.  In doing so, Steve discovered that Ann had a broken spoke on the back wheel, cassette side, same as Steve had last week.  Now Ann knows she wasn't crazy that it seemed particularly tough yesterday on the 75 km day; it's a drag when your back wheel rubs the whole way.  Steve managed to true the wheel as best as possible for the ride to Biarritz where we hope to find a bike shop.  We will have to be more careful coming off curbs and lift our bums off our seats to lessen the weight on the back tires, or eat fewer croissants!

The wind blew hard yesterday but today it is all calm, not a breath of wind, even on the beach.  We went for a long walk on the sandbars and when the sun peaked through the clouds, Steve even went for a swim.  Brrr!

The real reason we decided on a day off the bikes today in Boucau has everything to do with the weather forecast.  Today and Wednesday will be cloudy with a good chance of rain so we would rather stay here and then get to be in Biarritz for a full day on Thursday when it is supposed to be sunny and great weather to see the sights.

Just as we were preparing dinner the wind seemed to change and suddenly it felt much colder so we dug into the bottom of the paniers for our toques and wool socks.  With fall in the air there may not be many more ocean swims -but we'll hope for warmer days ahead in Spain.

Heart 5 Comment 2
Karen Quinnlove that sky shot!!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Karen QuinnYes this is big sky country over the ocean
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Margaret Anne CameronLooking great guys! From polar bear swim to polar bear clothes in the same day. Your salad looks delicious- quite a feat to carry some necessary supplies as you travel. You are amazing Cyclists 🚴‍♀️!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyHi Margaret Anne,

Yes but living it up the last 6 days with only one night in the tent. San Sebastián is a beautiful city with beaches right in town. With warm weather everyone is out strolling and eating on patios in the evenings. First big rain day of the trip so we are catching up on the blog. Xoxo
Reply to this comment
2 years ago