Ste Eulalie to Boucain les Bains - Livin' the Dream: France to Portugal 2021 - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2021

Ste Eulalie to Boucain les Bains

The first ten miles of the morning were along side the road and went quickly.  We were surprised to see a logging truck pass us.  Then coming in Mimizan, Ann thought she was mistaken in thinking that there was the smell of a pulp mill.  But having grown up in Bathurst, NB,  Ann's nose was proven right as we rounded the corner to see a giant pulp mill.   The rest of the day we passed through a number of clear cuts.  Now we know why all those pine forests are being cut down.  Having said that though, the National Forests seemed to be well managed with plenty of evidence of replanting. 

At lunchtime we came out of the forest at Contis riding by the town's large lighthouse.  The only restaurant open was already full and we didn't want to stop that long.  As we rode the streets looking for another open restaurant, we spied a promising road leading up a hill and as we crested it, we realized we were on the dune, and the full force of the open Atlantic hit us.  It was exhilarating to feel the wind and see and hear the waves crashing on the beach.  We decided it was the perfect spot for lunch and dug out a second bowl of granola for the day followed by figs and chocolates for dessert.  It did give us lots energy to pedal on!

Just before the Étang de Leon we had a decision to make, do we follow the Eurovelo 1 inland around the Étang to Leon, or shorten our distance by going directly south along the coast taking a D road.  We opted for the D road which was very quiet and saved us ten km so we were at the campground with groceries by 4:30 pm.

Steve splurged on the wine, thinking fondly of the Sainte-Estephe area within the Medoc region we rode through last week.  The wine was a perfect accompaniment to one of our favourite camping meals, our Italian friend Patty’s anchovy pasta with a green salad, dark chocolate with nuts for dessert. 

A 77 km ride was a good day on the bikes so we crashed early. 

Super windy lunch stop
Heart 3 Comment 1
Kelly MaherYou have lucked out with the trails all along the coast, the beaches are beautiful and seem to go on forever! Beautiful!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
A clear cut with newly planted trees.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rob WearyWhat a strange sight!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Cork trees with the bark being harvested
Heart 2 Comment 2
Scott AndersonCork oak. Get used to this look. You’ll be seeing a lot of it when you get to Portugal.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Scott AndersonThanks made the change on our blog!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Close up of the cork oak bark.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Keith KleinHi,
Cork oak, stripped to make corks. No fungus at all!
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Keith KleinThanks Keith made the correction on the blog.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Tent city in the forest.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Karen Quinninteresting!! I see a golf cart... year round spot? how many tents? all the same vintage. looks like a village!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyIt is tents on platforms to rent. The campgrounds in France mostly close at the end of September.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
This wine was in the ‘deluxe’ section of the grocery store. We rode by the château near Paulliac. Delicious!
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 1,043 km (648 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Margaret Anne CameronOmg- another bug day! Your guys are on fire 🔥! I can appreciate the entry of Ann smelling the pulp mill. Who could ever forget that! Ride on guys. Be happy- be well.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago