Porto to Torreira - Livin' the Dream: France to Portugal 2021 - CycleBlaze

October 26, 2021

Porto to Torreira

Leaving Porto today was bittersweet, we were sad to be departing this happening city but we were and always are, excited to be back in the saddle heading to new destinations.  Although today's ride wasn't technically new territory, as we were doing a reverse of Saturday's -Porto to Torreira.  The same route but a totally different perspective going in the opposite direction.  

Immediately leaving the apt/hotel we coasted downhill.  Steve had plotted a path that took us over the upper level of the Luis I Bridge one last time.  We took more pictures and stood and looked out over the beautiful city.  Ah yes, Porto, we will be back!

Once off the bridge we made our way down more steep, narrow, cobblestone streets to the waterfront and retraced our ride out along the Douro Estuary.  Today there were few cars, so instead of riding the cobblestone sidewalks, we rode the paved roads until we came to the official bike route and in no time, we were spinning southwards.  The beaches were quiet today but there were still enough walkers, runners and cyclists to make it interesting (and warm enough that some of the men were shirtless, Ann noted).

We made Espinho our lunch destination and found shade and a gorgeous view of the beach.  After a few more kms the beach at Furadouro was our choice for an afternoon coffee break.  We loved our stop here at Reguila's, right on the beach with our feet in the sand.  The beach dropped off in front of us as the waves thundered into shore.  Wow! 

With our shots of coffee downed we flew the last 15 km to Torreira, checked in and made a beeline for the beach.  Steve went swimming, no Ann did not!  Someone had to take the photo as proof of a swim in the ocean on October 26h.  Ann volunteered for that job.

We like the hotel here, the SeeUInn, it is just back from the beach, clean and with new furnishings in the bathrooms.  The couple who own it moved here from South Africa three years ago.  Their breakfast is wonderful and another reason to stay.  Unfortunately, we will miss it tomorrow as we have 12kms to the 9:30 ferry and the breakfast service only starts at 8:30.

We also like Torreira as there is a great fish restaurant next door to the hotel, Restaurante Avenida Praia.  We ate there Friday night and we were keen to go tonight again, and this time to celebrate reaching our 2000km milestone of the trip!

Last photo from the bridge.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Bike path by the beach just south of Porto.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch by the beach.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Never enough of the bike paths through pine forests.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Coffee break!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Cycling through the art.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Handsome topless man alert.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Fish supper.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Night now from Torreira.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 2,052 km (1,274 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0