Castelo Rodrigo to Trancoso - Livin' the Dream: France to Portugal 2021 - CycleBlaze

October 18, 2021

Castelo Rodrigo to Trancoso

The Falcao de Mendonca  hotel was a great find.  After a delicious breakfast (we were the only occupants), we were on our way.

Yesterday it seemed all uphill in the rain coming to Castelo Rodrigo and it must have been, as today we started off with a 15km gentle downhill.  We just kept rolling until we realized we had actually missed a turn and gone 6km in the wrong direction.  It was on this mistaken routing that we had our first incident with dogs chasing us.  And then we had to go back by these same dogs!  This is a new worry as we have not had any issues with loose dogs until now.

Back on track, the road snaked steeply downhill to the Coa River, a 600m descent/ascent with 20% incline at times.   The Coa is a major tributary of the Douro River.  It is a rugged, harsh and beautiful environment.  We passed through the Faia Brava, a protected area of high cliffs and bare rock outcrops, and wonderfully devoid of dogs!

If you don't mind the climbs, today's ride is a cyclist's dream.  Perfect pavement, spectacular scenery and absolutely no vehicles, we probably had 10 cars pass us all day.  We went down, then up, down again, then up to quaint, eerily quiet, stone villages.  Some of the houses are in need of repair and others freshly spruced up.  The few people we saw were mostly reticent to respond to our poorly pronounced "bom dia" but those we encountered at the village water fountain or during coffee breaks spoke some French, which was the second language taught in schools, nowadays it's English.

As we cycled high up along the spine of a ridge with phenomenal 360 views, we could just make out windmills on a distant ridge.  Then down again into another gorge and up the other side.  

By this time we were getting tired, we had already climbed 800 meters in elevation but had another 200m to get to Troncoso, our destination for the night.  It took us hour and a half to ride that last 14km.  And yes, Trancoso is right up beside the windmills we had spied hours ago.  

The centre is a medieval, walled town with a castle.  It was late, so we quickly changed and walked the enchanting cobblestone streets in the evening light, looking for a restaurant. 

This was our biggest vertical climb day to date, 1030 meters in total.  Our meagre picnic lunch was long ago converted into pedal power so we were hungry for a tasty dinner of local specialties- grilled wild boar and baked cod before our well-earned night's sleep.

Quiet roads again today
Heart 6 Comment 0
Streets in town are cobblestone, cute the first few times but slow and uncomfortable after the 8th village.
Heart 7 Comment 4
Scott AndersonYes, that’s my memory of northern Portugal. They’re all like that, in our experience.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Scott AndersonBy the end of the day Steven was trying to miss the villages if possible. We were tired and still had a ways to go.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonCobblestones are the worst, especially for women! It’s one of the reasons we didn’t spend much time in Portugal and moved on to Spain on our last trip there. On a future trip you should look at the Almeria region. It’s the only desert in Europe and it has few cars but a lot of paved roads with very few cars but a lot of professional cyclists training during the winter months.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Rachael AndersonThanks Rachael, we may head to the Almeria region in the spring, so noted. Thanks !
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
What goes down must come up later.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Scott AndersonThis also squares with my memory of northern Portugal.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Scott AndersonThanks for reading! I am amazed that you can cycle, write your own blog and comment on others! You are the gold standard in cycle blogging. I love your blogs and have been following your travels keenly. We will be following your itineraries in future trips for sure. Thanks for the encouragement. We find it challenging to stay on top of the writing.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
Coa River valley
Heart 5 Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonWow, fantastic!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyYes, beautiful countryside. Remote, with the wind and the birds.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Looking back where we had come from
Heart 5 Comment 0
The door and knob of this well were made of solid granite
Heart 4 Comment 0
Imagine the effort to tend a grove of olive trees up in this environment!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Can you see the windmills in the distance?
Heart 3 Comment 0
The "new" Trancoso city hall built in 1909
Heart 2 Comment 0
Trancoso city walls
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 1,682 km (1,045 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0