Cerro Castillo National Park: More wind and climbs - The fourth step ... Patagonia etc - CycleBlaze

January 22, 2018

Cerro Castillo National Park: More wind and climbs

This morning was no warmer than yesterday but at least there was no dew. The wind blew through the night which meant we were nice and dry this morning. It was quite a struggle to get out of bed but eventually got going at about ten o'clock. We turned into the little village of El Blanco (population 411, if the notice board is to be believed although that might include visiting family members from out of town) where we found a little mercado operating from a house where we eventually got a single roll of loo paper and some pan. The kind lady also filled up our water bottles.

The Mate Museum in El Blanco
Heart 0 Comment 0

The climb started immediately and continued all the way to the Cerro Castillo National Park. Nothing too steep and the fresh tailwind helped as it did yesterday. About five kilometers from the park we turned slightly westwards and, with the change of direction and the shape of the mountains, the wind was now straight into our faces. The difference was remarkable. At one point we were blown to a complete standstill and another I was blown right off the road when a gust came from the side. From here to the village of Cerro Castillo is little more than forty kilometers and we had considered carrying on to there today but these last few kays made us decide on spending the night at the camping ground in the National Park.

The campsite is quite lovely with a "donkey" boiler. After a lunch of the pan with some tuna, I fired up the donkey and we enjoyed nice hot showers. A young Argentinian with a bikepacking setup has also come in to camp as well as a few other cyclists so they can also make use of the hot shower. In the meantime I am sitting next to the boiler so I can stay warm while I type up my journal entry.

Later on we took a walk down to the lake to do a bit of birdwatching, picking upo three new species (I muist do an entry on our birding so far at some time).

A short walk before supper
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 27 km (17 miles)
Total: 662 km (411 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0