Nakhom Phanom to That Phanom - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

April 23, 2016

Nakhom Phanom to That Phanom

We were on the road to That Phanom at about 6:15, not too far too go so there was no rush. As we were leaving Nakhom Phanom, we stopped at a 7-11 to buy a tuna pie - tuna in a pie ???? - for breakfast. We stuck mostly to the 212 which was very quiet. The route was amongst the flattest we have ridden with not a hill in sight. We stopped a few times to do some birdwatching and a water/biscuit stop as well as a Coke stop. The birdwatching stop produced a lifer in Eastern Yellow Wagtail, a group of at least nine foraging in a wet paddyfield.

One of the stranger sights was what appeared to be a fishing competition all done with nets, some of which were enormous. I can't imagine that there will be many fish left in the reservoir was they are finished.

Fishing with nets
Heart 0 Comment 0

We took a stroll arounf Wat Pra That Phanom with its beautiful and famous chedi.

The chedi at Wat Pta That Phanom which supposably contains the breastbone of the Buddha.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After supper we returned to the Wat where a festival of folk dancing was taking place. By all appearances it was 100% non-commercial, simply community involvement. So much many other places in the world could learn from communities like this.

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 1,846 km (1,146 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0