Khemmarat to Ban Song Khon - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

April 27, 2016

Khemmarat to Ban Song Khon

We took major strain last night without an aircon and it was almost a pleasure to be out our room in the cooler morning air. It didn't stay cool for long and by the time we made Ban Song Khon by about 9:30 it was already very hot.

About 15 months ago Andrea Brown and Bruce Lellman covered a very similar route to ours down the Mekhong (see here). On they way they spotted this, which has now become this.

What ?
Heart 0 Comment 0

We booked in to Song Khon Resort, the "unnamed resort" of Bruce and Andrea's report. Sadly or fortunately, the toothless, potential meth-head wasn't around and, even though the management and staff looked a bit dodgy in more ways than one and the room was over-priced by about 50% (600 baht), this was certainly the place to stay with the food being good and the beer cold and no sign of over charging (apart from the room price). Despite the previous comment about the management and staff, we can't deny that they were friendly and helpful and the location more than compensated for the state of the room and public areas. We also managed two lifers (Dark-throated Tailorbird and Ashy Minivet) in the garden so the choice of accomodation was spot on.

It is incredible that the Mekhong can narrow to such extent. One wonders how deep it must be for so much water to squeeze through.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is clear that the Mekhong occasionally rises above normal levels.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 2,061 km (1,280 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0