Back to Canasi with Pens and Meds: Finally, pens for the school and medical centre - Searching for Fidel (Tour 9) - 2009 🇨🇺 - CycleBlaze

January 12, 2009

Back to Canasi with Pens and Meds: Finally, pens for the school and medical centre

We are getting toward the end of our trip so we decided to head back to Canasi to the medical centre. We had a few last meds plus a bag of pens some of which went to the centre. As we were outside of the centre one of the young teachers we had met earlier and last year walked by, so we offered her a number of pens for the school, too. There were a number of hair elastics and clips which we gave to a few women on the street. Then we did a little ride through town and up to the church where we had visited last year, when a woman from the house across the street came out and asked us over to her home. Initially she was asking us if we would like a lobster dinner at a cost of CUC$20 each. We thanked her but told her that we had a lot of food at the hotel. She still asked us is into her home and exchanged addresses with us for the next time we come, she said. As it turns out, her cousin is married to the doctor at the resort - the one who we had given meds and gloves to last week. Small world!

While we were chatting with the woman and her friend we noticed a number of young punks eyeing our bikes as they came from between buildings and dead-end streets. Seemed kind of fishy to me, so we decided it was time to go. We rode away and headed out of the village to return to our hotel.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0