National Capital - Fall Colours - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2016

National Capital

Given that we have a big ride tomorrow we took the day to wander around downtown Ottawa including Parliament Hill. I will let the photos speak for themselves.

Parliament building
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti with the peace tower coming out of her head.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The book of rememberance is in the Memorial Chamber in the base of the peace tower where there are multiple books of remembrance for Cdn men & women who were killed in conflicts around the world. The one in the photo is WWII. The staff change a page in each book every day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the Ottawa River & the Gatineau hills from the peace tower. Before the river is the dome for the Parliament building library which is spectacular on the inside. It is the only part of the building that survived a fire.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me with Nellie McClung one of the famous five women who in 1929 won right for women to be declared "persons" under the law. Although women had the vote since 1918 they could not sit in the senate until these 5 women won the right under the "persons" case.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rideau canal lock system that allows boats to travel between the Ottawa River & the Rideau canal. It is between Parliament Hill & the Chateau Laurier.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Byward market
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maple syrup in any size you want
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti ordering a beaver tail in the market. They are an Ottawa speciality.
Heart 0 Comment 0
If you ever wondered why the Rideau canal was built this set of rapids known as the Hog's back is located in the Rideau River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0