to Melnik - Europe 2022 - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2022

to Melnik

Heart 0 Comment 0

boarding regional jet in Vienna

Heart 2 Comment 0

The main square in Prague where the demonstration was

Heart 1 Comment 0

King Charles pedestrian bridge

Heart 1 Comment 0

Obligatory shot of church near Prague Castle

Heart 1 Comment 0

Kayaking competition is very popular I have been told

Heart 0 Comment 0

The Chateau and church. The Vtlava

I am told that a lot more was happening in Prague yesterday. There was a huge anti government rally with 70 to 100,000 demonstrators. See pic of square above when it was quiet. There was a half marathon, a 10K international race and some of the Euro basketball championship. I met the rest of the group. There is our guide from Poland, 4 Brits and a Canadian and me.

The ride started today. Three of the six opted for ebikes and were speedy uphill. Everyone but the guide was riding a bike they were not used to and were wobbly at times. The bikes are heavy. We went past a castle owned by the rich local family. and one owned by the family whose daughter married Franz Josef. Franz's death led to The Great War (WWI). Also Anton Dvorak's childhood home.

It was a lovely ride paralleling the Vltava River, sometimes along the river and sometimes not. We finished in Melnik, there was a chateau and church at the other end of town. The Vltava and what is called the Elbe (in Germany) have a confluence near the Chateau. There is some connection between the chateau and King Wenceslaus (yes, that one). There was a room full of human bones that were moved there to make room in the cemetery for victims of a plague. Much later they were rearranged and stacked.

White wagtails, House Martins, and Red Kite(?).

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 53 km (33 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0