Day 2: An easier day on another rail trail - Escaping the smoke - CycleBlaze

August 13, 2021

Day 2: An easier day on another rail trail

Rathtrevor to Little Qualicum Falls Provincial Park

Another hot day ahead
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a better sleep and awoke to another beautiful, sunny day.  It took us about an hour and a half to eat, re-arrange the gear, pack up and at 7:30 or so we were ready to go.

Shifting the load
Heart 1 Comment 0
Can you see Gary in the front powering ahead?
Heart 0 Comment 0

There was a short climb out of the park and once through Parksville we joined up with a rail trail which was very easy cycling for 14 km's to the town of Coombs.  

Colorful graffiti
Heart 1 Comment 0
An easy ride on the Parksville to Coombs rail trail
Heart 1 Comment 0

Coombs claim to fame is a local market where goats graze on the grass roof of the building.  We were searching for a cup of coffee and a goodie and had to maneuver through the throngs of people to locate one. I had never been to Coombs before even though I grew up on the Island.  It was interesting, the coffee was good, but for me there was far too many people for my liking.  A quick stop for a baguette and some fresh veggies and we were ready to start the second half of the ride.

Coombs market. Can you spot the goat on the roof?
Heart 1 Comment 0
A little bit of coke with that baguette?
Heart 0 Comment 0

The second half of the ride was a bit more of a challenge with a few more hills and traffic but nothing like the grind of yesterday's ride.  We arrived around noon to our campground and it was a beautiful, tucked in amongst towering trees.  Shaded and very serene.  

There's a strange smell coming from your pack Debb
Heart 1 Comment 0

We spent some time exploring the many trails in the park and visited the falls.  Strangely there was a couple splashing around just above the falls in the water, being daredevils I suppose.

A man and a woman were in the small pool just above the falls
Heart 1 Comment 0

While looking over the next day's route, we discovered that there might be a short cut through the park which would shave off about 10 km's from  tomorrows ride.  We volunteered Gary the Grinder to scout it out.  It looked promising he said.

That's not a battery on Rob's bike - it is a drain pipe he painted black and is where he stores the tent pegs.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Again we sat around waiting for 8 o'clock to arrive before crawling into the tent.  Today was a good day.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0