The Plan - Escaping the smoke - CycleBlaze

The Plan

It's good to have a backup plan

We were planning our first multi day tour and managed to wangle a couple of eager friends, Debb and Gary, to join us.  We were looking at starting in Brookmere and following the KVR through Princeton, Penticton, Myra Canyon and then hooking up on the  Okanagan Rail Trail which follows the banks of Kalamalka Lake into Vernon.

Note all the wildfires in the area
Heart 0 Comment 0

Unfortunately, 2021 would go down as the 3rd worst wildfire season for BC on record and by the end of June a heat dome (I never knew there was such a thing) had settled over the Province bringing extremely high temperatures with very little precipitation.  On June 30th the whole town of Lytton burned to the ground and by the middle of July there were already more than 1,000 fires having burned more than 3,000 square km's.

Needless to say the air quality in our area was toxic and with a new fire breaking out daily it seemed and a new one near Brookmere  it was necessary to change plans.

Starting in Nanaimo we would make our way up Island towards Comox and then?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Plan 'B' was subject to change but we knew the starting point would be Nanaimo.  We were looking forward to breathing clean air and leaving the worry and stress of the fires behind. At one point we were on evacuation alert and had packed up the back of the car with everything we thought important.  Even though the order was lifted we thought to be on the safe side we wouldn't unpack and would just bring it with us to the Island.

We were eager and nervous to get this show on the road.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0