4. 6/2/23 Side trip to Oberlin, Ohio - Gass-powered Tandem Around Lake Erie (clockwise) - CycleBlaze

June 2, 2023

4. 6/2/23 Side trip to Oberlin, Ohio

NOTE: This elevation is incorrect.  The actual elevation gain was 646 ft. (corrected by Strava data)

Heart 2 Comment 0

We put the tandem together this a.m. in our hotel room and begged the hotel to let us store the bags until we return June 15.  All set.  One thing that wasn't all set was the stem collar holding Ken's handlebars.  That quickly became apparent as we rode into the street with loaded bike only to have the handlebars turn but the wheel not turn.  Scary! We will never do that again.  

We had a mostly wonderful ride: smooth tree lined roads with a bike lane, or a paved trail for 16 miles!  There was some rough road for a few miles due to construction and we got lost in Elyria.  Goggle maps and a call to Ken's med school friend Tom Klosterman saved us.  That was not fun. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Along Lake Road, one block from Lake Erie.

Heart 1 Comment 0

One of the newer mansions on the street.  The properties and houses were impressive (in both good and bad ways).

Heart 1 Comment 0

Lake Erie

Heart 0 Comment 0

We were really impressed with this trail which travels south for 30 miles from Lake Erie.   Except that in Elyria, we got abysmally lost. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

Great trail markers!

Heart 0 Comment 0

One of the small rivers we crossed.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Impressive bridges all along the trail.  

Finally got to Kendal at Oberlin, a Quaker retirement living facility where Tom and Eleanor Klosterman live and George and Marlene Andrews live.  The Klostermans reserved a guest room for us.  Ken got to visit with George, 91, his favorite Oberlin math professor back in 1964.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 40 miles (64 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Joy VaughanThis is so fun reading about your adventure. I'm so impressed, Francie. Meanwhile, I'm at home taking care of business and experiencing a week of rain. so a lot of time spent lying around with BritBox. Safe travels. It looks so beautiful.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Francie GassTo Joy VaughanThank you!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago