16. 6/14/23 Geneva On The Lake, OH to Painesville, OH - Gass-powered Tandem Around Lake Erie (clockwise) - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2023

16. 6/14/23 Geneva On The Lake, OH to Painesville, OH

Heart 0 Comment 0

Our elevation gain was actually 460 ft. today. 

It rained last night and was sunny and breezy this morning. Since we only had 23.4 miles to go today, we had a leisurely morning at the Lodge.  After breakfast we explored the grounds a bit.  This lodge is right next to Geneva State Park with connecting trails and at least one short zip line. 

Windy!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lake-side of the Lodge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cottages - this would be a great place for a family reunion. The cottages all have a lake view and are arranged in small circles. The town of Geneva On The Lake is like a beach town with ice cream shops/beach wear.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We took off a little after 11 and meandered on quiet back roads for 10 miles.  Quite delightful with the wind from the NW.  

Heart 0 Comment 0

After we left the cute one-stoplight town of Madison, the route took us on OH 84.  This road had a minimal shoulder and a speed limit of 50 mph.  To add to our discomfort, the wind switched to SW - in our faces.  Made us happy we were only going 23 miles today!

The Rider's Inn in Painesville, OH was built in 1812 as a stagecoach stop.  It's delightful!  It has a bar and restaurant that serves lunch and dinner.  We thought we would have to find our own breakfast, but the owner said, "It's a B&B!".  Good news! 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a delicious lunch and a friend of Ken's will join us here for dinner tonight.  Tomorrow we close the loop around Lake Erie!

Today's ride: 23 miles (37 km)
Total: 517 miles (832 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Glenn GassQuite a time you had getting to this spot! Sorry about the road closures and detours. Love the root beer stand! And you're right, looks like you found a great Reunion spot! (Wish Beachwood was still in play...)
Congratulations on closing the loop! You guys are truly amazing!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Francie GassTo Glenn GassThanks for following along! Looking forward to hearing more about your travels!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago