16. 6/14/23 Geneva On The Lake, OH to Painesville, OH - Gass-powered Tandem Around Lake Erie (clockwise) - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2023

16. 6/14/23 Geneva On The Lake, OH to Painesville, OH

Heart 0 Comment 0

Our elevation gain was actually 460 ft. today. 

It rained last night and was sunny and breezy this morning. Since we only had 23.4 miles to go today, we had a leisurely morning at the Lodge.  After breakfast we explored the grounds a bit.  This lodge is right next to Geneva State Park with connecting trails and at least one short zip line. 

Windy!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lake-side of the Lodge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cottages - this would be a great place for a family reunion. The cottages all have a lake view and are arranged in small circles. The town of Geneva On The Lake is like a beach town with ice cream shops/beach wear.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We took off a little after 11 and meandered on quiet back roads for 10 miles.  Quite delightful with the wind from the NW.  

Heart 0 Comment 0

After we left the cute one-stoplight town of Madison, the route took us on OH 84.  This road had a minimal shoulder and a speed limit of 50 mph.  To add to our discomfort, the wind switched to SW - in our faces.  Made us happy we were only going 23 miles today!

The Rider's Inn in Painesville, OH was built in 1812 as a stagecoach stop.  It's delightful!  It has a bar and restaurant that serves lunch and dinner.  We thought we would have to find our own breakfast, but the owner said, "It's a B&B!".  Good news! 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a delicious lunch and a friend of Ken's will join us here for dinner tonight.  Tomorrow we close the loop around Lake Erie!

Today's ride: 23 miles (37 km)
Total: 517 miles (832 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Glenn GassQuite a time you had getting to this spot! Sorry about the road closures and detours. Love the root beer stand! And you're right, looks like you found a great Reunion spot! (Wish Beachwood was still in play...)
Congratulations on closing the loop! You guys are truly amazing!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Francie GassTo Glenn GassThanks for following along! Looking forward to hearing more about your travels!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago