15. 6/13/23 Erie, PA to Geneva On The Lake, OH - Gass-powered Tandem Around Lake Erie (clockwise) - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2023

15. 6/13/23 Erie, PA to Geneva On The Lake, OH

Heart 0 Comment 0

Note: This elevation gain is incorrect.  Per Strava we gained 830 ft. of elevation.  Each one of those dips was a creek or river.  

Today started off so well!  Sunny and cool and we avoided the busy PA5 with no shoulder.  We traveled West and the wind was from the SW at 8-10 mph, so not bad. 

We are still pretty close to the Lake
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have never seen a Brick silo!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were cruising along at about 14 mph and expecting to get into GOTL(Geneva On The Lake) around 1:30; before the forecast of rain beginning at 2 p.m.  Just as we entered Conneaut, we saw this 1952 establishment and pulled in!

Heart 2 Comment 0
They had counter top mini jukeboxes! I put my quarter in...
Heart 1 Comment 0
Then I couldn't find the Letter and Number that correlated with the song I wanted, "Take Good Care of My Baby," by Bobby Vee from 1961. Good Grief, it is hard getting old!!
Heart 1 Comment 2
Kelly KendallHow could you not pass up a cold root beer during a long day on the road.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Francie GassExactly! Stopping here was a no-brainer!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

A few drops of rain fell while we ate a quick lunch, but it cleared up quickly.  Adventure Cycling took us on a detour of downtown Conneaut that was hysterical.  Up steep hills, weaving in and around on roads hardly used by anyone! 

The "better" route. At least there was no traffic!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were now in Ohio and the shoulder got narrower.  Just north of Kingsville you'll see we went out and back.  There was a Road Closed sign, but we were hoping we could sneak by so we checked it out. It was pretty serious.

The road looked fine, but there was no one to ask about what was ahead.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We back-tracked and followed the Detour signs and looked on Google maps. We were further delayed by a long train, but eventually got on Rt 20 (parallel to 531/W. Lake Rd.) when we saw ANOTHER  road closed sign.  This time, there was no detour nearby, but there were helpful workers!  

I walked past the road closed sign and asked/begged to pass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The width of the road was totally torn up, but we got the OK.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You can see our tire marks. It was pretty hard but saved us miles!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ridewithgps on my phone showed a detour that was NOT visible on Ken's wahoo computer.  It was real, thank goodness.  By now we both had our rain jackets on and the rain was intermittent. We got back on our W. Lake Rd route close to the Lake.  We were surprised to pass Kent State University on the outskirts of Ashtabula, OH.  I had assumed the University was in a big city.  The student shootings of 1970 left a scar on many of us Baby Boomers.  

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had ridden an extra 5 miles and had 8 more to go.  With 5 miles left, the heavens opened up.  

The view from the Lodge entry - windy and rainy. We got to the Lodge about 2:30 and our room was ready!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Had a delicious dinner at the restaurant associated with the lodge. Can't leave the Great Lakes region without having a Walleye meal.  Wanted to take a walk after dinner, but a storm is moving in.  Hoping for sunshine tomorrow!

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 494 miles (795 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0